584,842 active members*
4,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Anyone Using Teknic SST-1500 Servo Control?
Page 3 of 4 1234
    Actually, starcat, it may be commutation. When you power up and disable the motor and rotate it's shaft manually, do all the hall effect sensors change state on the motor setup page?
    Mike Visit my projects blog at: http://mikeeverman.com/
    http://www.bell-evermannews.com/ http://www.bell-everman.com

Teknic STT-1500 ACX

The software is Quickset 4.2.48
    I had to make the serial port cable, the connection on the drive is numbered but not marked, I couldn't find any numbers on the drive nor on the manual. I had to guess which was the number 1. The numbers ascend towards the end of the drive. Number one is the pin closest to the middle of the drive though the connector is towards the end of the drive.
    Connect (pin 8 Enable) and (5 neg) to turn on the drive.

My drives didn't have any connectors, fortunately I found out that the plugs on old computer power supplies fit perfect.

The one thing that had me stuck for a long time was the encoder count, Thanks to a very nice man at Teknic I learn that the drive wants to know the encoder count other wise it won't run!! I had a motor connected to one drive with an 8000ppr encoder and the software setup was set for 4,000ppr the motor wouldn't move over 15 degrees on either direction.
    Arturo

SST-1500-RCX

I have a Camtech L20 laser engraver. Im running 2 SST-1500-RCX drives and 3 Teknic M-3482-FT servos. Im trying to calibrate everything using quickset. I cant get anything online. I set the com port to the right one. According to Teknic, I dont need an oscope with the RCX drives. Could that be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by jflachs34 View Post
    I have a Camtech L20 laser engraver. Im running 2 SST-1500-RCX drives and 3 Teknic M-3482-FT servos. Im trying to calibrate everything using quickset. I cant get anything online. I set the com port to the right one. According to Teknic, I dont need an oscope with the RCX drives. Could that be the problem?
    I can get my drive online, oscope or not. Did you solve your problem?

Re: Anyone Using Teknic SST-1500 Servo Control?

So if i need servo amplifier to work without halls i need only 3100 series? It's software has label "ignore halls".
    I ask because my friedd couple of years ago try with 3100 and its work well. But when he try with 1500 series it wasn't work. There is no "ignoge halls'" label in 1500's soft and it was a drive error.
    may be it's need to wire halls somewere (ground or else). May be you know something about it?
    Wand to use with this motor http://www.cnc-club.ru/forum/downloa...mode=view&mt=1
    it hasn't halls sensors

PM me with you email and I'll try to.look up the manual I have for the 1500 (I actually have 3000 drives, but 1500 was the closest I could find), or do a Google search on a PDF, because there is one for axyz machines (iirc) out there.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Hi to all. I know this is a fairly old thread but hope it's still viewed and that I can glean some helpful info from those who have a LOT more experience in this arena than I do currently. After getting the idea to build a CNC plasma system about 10 years ago and having to put it on hold, I'm finally actually moving forward with plans to build a DIY 4-axis (actually dual drive motors to move the gantry in the Y-axis and one motor each for X-axis and Z-axis) CNC plasma table and am currently focusing on the motors and drives to use. Initially I had been thinking I'd use stepper motors until I recently discovered the servo motors from Teknic that I think are reasonably priced and appear to provide good performance, particularly the Hudson series. At first my interest was captured by the relatively new ClearPath motors but since have decided I want to use the Hudson series now.

For some background on the build plans I'm looking to use an Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS) for motion control with Mach4 software. I plan to use either a CNC4PC C25S breakout board or preferably PMDX-126 to interface with the motor drives. For motors and drives I recently found some Teknic M-3422S-LN-08D servo motors and some Teknic SSt-1500-UCX servo drives on eBay that from what I've determined so far should work fine together. My question and concern is whether I can use the SSt-1500-UCX drives directly connected to the ESS/BOB electronics or do I need something else in between or instead of. Reading from the Teknic SSt Servo System Manual for SST 1500 servo drives it appears there shouldn't be any problem with this plan. If I can determine these components can/will work together as described then I can move forward with buying these and progress with getting the connectors and cabling built to mate them together. I'm also thinking of using a NeuronTHC Simplicity plasma torch height control that will hopefully be able to connect and control one of these Teknic servo drives and motors in the Z-axis.

So, being a newbie in the CNC field, I would appreciate any and all feedback that can help me get grounded on whether this motion control setup is doable or not. As stated, I'm new to this field but very adept at learning new skills and applying them as my background for several decades was in electronics engineering and support and for the past 15+ working in the IT field as a network engineer, and a Jack Of All Trades overall, so to speak. I can and have built numerous electronic, electrical and mechanical "things" in my life and I'm not afraid to tackle new technologies. So, if anyone can pass along any pearls of wisdom I'm all ears. And thanks in advance for anything that comes my way.

Steve

The drives are step and direction input, so should be fine to connect directly, although obviously having optical breaks on the BOB is ideal, but more for the control hardware than the motor driver. I know there is a manual (I think from AXYZ machines) floating around too. PM me if you can't google it, I think I have on a HD somewhere.

I had some on a machine I recently sold, used for the Z and W vertical heads, worked fine, about all I can say about them, 16 years in the machine and no issues save for a plug I messed up (these were more pc expansion card style, not the enclosed box units).

Thanks gfacer. I downloaded a manual for the SSt-1500 series drives from Teknic (https://www.teknic.com/files/downloa...ual_Rev3.8.pdf), last released Dec 2008. I haven't gotten all the way through yet but what I've read so far agrees with your assessment. I will do a search for AXYZ machines to see if there's anything new/different but since Teknic put this manual out I can't imagine there would be any discrepancy in technical details. From your getting 16 years of use it sounds like a good, long term investment to go with these drives and servo motors.

On another note, do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any knowledge as to what different firmware versions provide for these servo drives. When checking out what's available on eBay, as example, I see versions listed such as v1.1.2 OC66 and v1.1.1 2EAA. I know with computer firmware upgrades they sometimes add more/different features but more often fix bugs found after the previous release.

Sorry, no idea on that, but my guess would be tuned for different end user applications as much as anything else.

Thanks again - appreciate the good and candid info. I'm satisfied with the results from here and my own research and will be ordering the servo motors and maybe the drives tonight, provided I can find enough 1500-UCX versions available. I'll be back with updates as I get further along.

Here's the latest on my project. I ordered 4 of the Teknic M-3422 motors and 5 Teknic SSt-1500-UCX drives (drive from 2 different eBay vendors). All have arrived and they all appear, visually, to be in good condition. I also ordered the Ethernet SmoothStepper and a fairly recently discovered BOB designed specifically for ESS, called MachBob2 (MB2) that's made in Thailand. The ESS website has a BOB vendors page where this product is linked (MB2 ESS ethernet smooth stepper BOB breakout out board [MB2]). It's advertised with the following features: 6 Axis Line Driver; I/O that utilizes all 3 ports of the ESS; OSSD safety output; Status LEDs for all signals; Requires a single 24V power supply. Having received the ESS and MB2 I will say I'm pleased with having selected these two items so far. I've also selected (but haven't ordered as yet) a 73VDC bulk linear power supply from Antek and a couple of smaller PSUs from jameco.com for 5V and 24V (from 1 PSU) and 12V from another smaller yet PSU to power everything in the CNC motion control enclosure. So, theoretically I have all the electronics and motors bought or selected, with the main exception of the motor power and encoder cabling for connecting the motion control components to the motors.

I'm now going through the process of determining what type(s) of cabling I'll use. The Teknic SSt drive manual references Belden and Olflex cable material, which I'm sure are good, but they're also fairly expensive. i contacted one company that resells Teknic motors and drives and they provided a quote for 4 cables (3-each 28ft and 1-each 20ft) complete for $518 plus shipping. I was a little stunned at that price until I discovered how much the Teknic recommended cable (just raw cable on a spool or cut to length with no connectors) costs. At that point I decided to see if it would be possible for me to acquire the cable and connectors needed and make my own and save some money. So here's what I've found so far.

I've found some Belden equivalent (Carol brand) cable that I'll likely use for the motor power cabling and I'm looking into the possibility/feasibility of using shielded Cat 5e network cable for the motor encoder and signaling cables. Using the Belden equivalent cables, I've determined I can make a single cable for power and one for the encoder for each motor that could plug directly into the Molex connector on the motor pigtail and run them direct to the Teknic servo drive motor connector, which would make for an easier cable build. If I use Cat 5e then I'll still need to use a Molex connector at the motor end and convert the encoder/signal wiring to an RJ45 connection type at the motor for 2-each Cat 5e cables that then could terminate at RJ45 inline couplers mounted in a keystone wall plate and passed through to the Teknic motor connector using its mating Molex connector. Costs, time and feasibility are the factors I'm working through now as to which cabling type I'll use.

I'll update this again once I have more to report.

Any updates on this? I also have some SST-1500 drivers along with the trajectory generators and network controller that match them. I'm trying to figure out what's worth keeping and what I should move on from. How are they working with the Smoothstepper? Thanks!

jjredo, I wish I had more to report back but shortly after posting my last time we had the unfortunate luck of having to get expensive repairs done to our septic system leach field. And as my luck goes, the county health dept made some VERY impactful changes in what they do and don't allow for these systems (thanks to all the liberals that have moved here from CA). These repairs have cost us over $10K so far and the job still isn't finished. This has consumed a LOT of my time and needless to say money that could have used for my CNC plasma table project and other stuff. As it looks now, I hope to be resuming my design and build next spring/summer.

Hi there!
    Does anybody else try to connect SST-1500 to PC?
    I try to make it a couple of days but steel have nothing. Try different COM ports on different PC. Software was downloaded from teknic.com
    I suggest that number of pins is increase from up to down on SST drive but may be not? There is nothing about it in manual.
    The same connector is at SST-6000. I can suggest then it has the same pins. There is more information about it in SST-6000 manual.
    In the 2nd post I see the same problem but because of language barrier I can’t understand what pins is correct.

was try to change 1<->2 pins as in manual.
    still nothing :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Alex101 View Post
    was try to change 1<->2 pins as in manual.
    still nothing :-(
    Hi alex, were you be able to connect successfully to the PC?
    Are you using the correct windows version?

the problem was found. My amplifiers is a special series :-(

Does anybody have a firmware for sst-1500? Will try to change firmware if i will find it.

Or may be someone have sst-1500 for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    Here's the latest on my project. I ordered 4 of the Teknic M-3422 motors and 5 Teknic SSt-1500-UCX drives (drive from 2 different eBay vendors). All have arrived and they all appear, visually, to be in good condition. I also ordered the Ethernet SmoothStepper and a fairly recently discovered BOB designed specifically for ESS, called MachBob2 (MB2) that's made in Thailand. The ESS website has a BOB vendors page where this product is linked (MB2 ESS ethernet smooth stepper BOB breakout out board [MB2]). It's advertised with the following features: 6 Axis Line Driver; I/O that utilizes all 3 ports of the ESS; OSSD safety output; Status LEDs for all signals; Requires a single 24V power supply. Having received the ESS and MB2 I will say I'm pleased with having selected these two items so far. I've also selected (but haven't ordered as yet) a 73VDC bulk linear power supply from Antek and a couple of smaller PSUs from jameco.com for 5V and 24V (from 1 PSU) and 12V from another smaller yet PSU to power everything in the CNC motion control enclosure. So, theoretically I have all the electronics and motors bought or selected, with the main exception of the motor power and encoder cabling for connecting the motion control components to the motors.

I'm now going through the process of determining what type(s) of cabling I'll use. The Teknic SSt drive manual references Belden and Olflex cable material, which I'm sure are good, but they're also fairly expensive. i contacted one company that resells Teknic motors and drives and they provided a quote for 4 cables (3-each 28ft and 1-each 20ft) complete for $518 plus shipping. I was a little stunned at that price until I discovered how much the Teknic recommended cable (just raw cable on a spool or cut to length with no connectors) costs. At that point I decided to see if it would be possible for me to acquire the cable and connectors needed and make my own and save some money. So here's what I've found so far.

I've found some Belden equivalent (Carol brand) cable that I'll likely use for the motor power cabling and I'm looking into the possibility/feasibility of using shielded Cat 5e network cable for the motor encoder and signaling cables. Using the Belden equivalent cables, I've determined I can make a single cable for power and one for the encoder for each motor that could plug directly into the Molex connector on the motor pigtail and run them direct to the Teknic servo drive motor connector, which would make for an easier cable build. If I use Cat 5e then I'll still need to use a Molex connector at the motor end and convert the encoder/signal wiring to an RJ45 connection type at the motor for 2-each Cat 5e cables that then could terminate at RJ45 inline couplers mounted in a keystone wall plate and passed through to the Teknic motor connector using its mating Molex connector. Costs, time and feasibility are the factors I'm working through now as to which cabling type I'll use.

I'll update this again once I have more to report.
    Curious how you made out with your machine. I'm replacing a servo on a multicam3000 that uses sst 1500 drives. I'm wondering if I will have to use Quickset to tune the motor? I'd also like to get two absolute 2048PR encoders to repair two servos.

Page 3 of 4 1234