584,846 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Anyone Using Teknic SST-1500 Servo Control?
Page 1 of 4 123

Anyone Using Teknic SST-1500 Servo Control?

Was wondering if anyone was using the Teknic SST-1500 series servo controller. They are also sold as a Daymarc P/N 639-528. I have all the documentation, but would be interested in discussing the use of this controller with servos and encoders.

Jerry

I have 3 of them, but haven't gotten around to hook them up. One reason is I have only a couple of very small motors for them. And it seems that motors with encoder+hall and suitable for that low voltage are not easy to come by.

I have been trying to find some motors and encoders, and contacted a friend of mine who might have some of them. I will know in a few days.

I have 4 of the controllers and was looking for some servo's that would work with the units so that I could possibly test them out for a future project.

Jerry

I also have several used ones. Havent had the chance to hook them up. You can use any brushed or brushless motors that fits the specs. I have gotten two teknic brand motors off ebay. Also have bought some of the cheap servos and some ebay renco 500 ppr encoders, but they are waiting to be assembled.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=cheap+servos

Do you plan to make the cables for the motors and encoders as shown in the manual?

Do you plan to make the cables for the motors and encoders as shown in the manual?

I have a friend in Idaho who has a couple of wiring harnesses for the Tekinc drives and he is shipping them to me. He offered to lend me a factory servo, but I am putting this project on hold for the present time. I am going to finish my existing CNC first, then venture on to these other projects.

Thanks guys for the input.

Jerry

IJ who have left this forum used these drives to run a BP-clone quite successfully.
    So using suitable motors, they should be good for most hobby uses and a good deal of professional uses too. I think he used 750W Silverline motors. Anyone that can remember this better than me?

I have 2 machines that I use the SST-1500 Servo controls with and am very pleased with them.

Excellent drive

We build commercial machines that use these drives. Do you have the 1500UCx or 1500TCx there is a big difference?

I have 4 SST-1500 ACX Drives, 4 TG540 Trajectory Generators and a NC-540 Network Controller, 3 Teknic M2330 Servos and a M1726 Servo.

It seems to be a very nice system but i dont know how to control them.
    I`m not a programmer...
    One way could be to connect only the SST 1500 to software like Mach2 via LTP and Step/Direction ?
    Or does somebody know how to control the system via the NC 540?
    With what kind of software, ?

Thanks for any ideas,

Andy

I am looking for teknic sst-1500 ucx's if anyone would like to sell some! I have a project that I would like to try them on.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Teknic Servos

Hi,
    I have significant Teknic experience so if you are looking for information I can help. These drives and motors are very good and it really comes down to using them correctly to get the best performance. Post your questions. If you would like to get some drives to try I might be able to tell you where to get them too.

Teknic SST 1500 drives

Chip Sweeper,

I am about to instal 2 SST1500 UCX drives on a large gantry with ac servo on each side
    is there a way to "slave" the drive outputs?,I think some people refer to this as "follow"
    thanks
    Carl

Dual Drives on one axis

Hi Carl,
    There are several things to consider. 1 - Tuning the servos, 2 - homing the axis, 3 - squaring the machine and 4 (your question) - running the axis.

Some of this depends on your controller and some on wiring. To answer your question first, the drives should be wired in parallel to the controller so each drive receives the same step and direction signal at the same time. If your mechanics have the motors spinning in opposite directions you must reverse the direction input somewhere along the way, either in the drive with the reverse function, in the controller or in the encoder wiring. If your controller is capable you can actually use them as 2 separte axes (like X1 & X2) and tie them together in the controller.

Homing the axes, setting limit switches and squaring the machine will be more challanging. Once the machine is tuned and square you're all set, unless you lose power to the encoders, then the machine must be re-squared and homed. Since you'll likely tune the axis and square the machine with 2 computers this works OK when you build it, but not if you ship it and need to re-square it again at set-up.

All this can be done with 1 computer if you create a ring for the drives, but you'll still need to connect them to a scope for the tuning. They could possibly be connected to one hard scope on 2 different channels to allow tuning both at one time. When tuning them with 1 PC you'll have to make very small changes to the tuing files as you go back and forth. Torque will give you an idea which drive is working harder.

There is a ton more stuff we could cover, but some of it depends on how you plan to use the machine, how your controller works and if you're selling the machine to someone else.

Let me know how else I can help.
    Victor

Victors
    thanks for reply,
    Machine is for my own use, I have done several routers,from 2x2 up to 10x64.
    this will be my first using brushless motors, tuning on bench with a scope is a definite.
    contrller will be MAch3 via paralell port.
    The SST 1500 's will be run from the same step/dir pins.
    I was just curious if Teknic had a slaving feature in the firmware.
    thanks
    Carl

victors, cant I just tune one and then save a config file to the others? Also, what do you mean by 'make a ring?

Thanks

HuckMilton,
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I could not log onto this site, for whatever reason.

If you are using two motors in a dual drive config you can't get an accurate tune on just one motor while dragging the other one around. Even if you disconnect the 2nd motor, the tuning file for the 1st motor will not be correct if it runs the axis alone while tuning, but in tandem in production.

In genral, once you have an accurate file, yes you can easily just copy it to other dirves that are used in the exact same application. The trick is getting that first file correct in a dual drive config.

The alternative is to use a drive with less repsonse, which is more forgiving, but has much less performance capability. Then you can put 2 on there and use some standard config, that might get you between 50% and 80% of what your machine could do if it were set-up correctly with the Teknic drives.

The serial ring is a way of connecting the drives (serially of course) so that one PC can see both drives through one connection via QuickSet, the tuning software and softscope.

Hope this helps
    Victor

coms?

Victor,

I'm having some trouble getting the quikset software talking with my drives. Checked and rechecked the cable and it's fine. Port seems to be functioning. Any ideas? I tried three different drives so so odds are its not a damaged drive problem.

Thanks, Huck

are you using the sst-dc cable? this is required. it plugs into the 4 pin connector on the bottom of the drive. This uses a serial cvommunication cable which must must plugged into your PC. If you do not have a serial port you can use a USB port but need a USB to high speed serial converter. The only tested and recommend one is a keyspan. Once connected you should be able to press ctrl 'r' and reset the drive and get it working. If your port assignment is not correct it will not work. go to 'file' 'application settings' and correct it and reset the drive again.

RS232 to USB Serial Adapter
    http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

victor

duel x axis drives

Victors,

I'm back. Can you describe what you mean about the serial ring in more detail? I dont see that phrase in the manual and am slightly (massively) inexperienced with servos and drives. I like the idea of having two servos for the gantry because of the extra inertia. However, it seems if I have two drives they may end up fighting eachother and causing (expensive) noise and twisting of the gantry.

Thanks, Frank

Serial Ring

The serial ring is just a serial connection from the PC to drive 1 and back to the PC. It saves the effort of moving yuor connection from drive to drive during set-up.

You can drive the gantry with 2 motors and one command by splitting teh command between two drives but setting a reverse bit one drive. Now it is much less likely you'll twist anything.

Page 1 of 4 123