584,837 active members*
5,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > Viper Software updates , bug fixes

Viper Software updates , bug fixes

This thread will be for Viper software updates and bug fixes.
    You can also report problems with the firmware .

In version 2.6, there is a problem with the Bank1 setting for the step multiplier (j-setting) . It starts as a random value and can't be changed. I've fixed this in version 2.7
    If you have this version, just don't use Bank1 (first bank jumper only). Bank 2 and 3 work fine.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Motor jumping when 12Volt is shut down

Some Viper 200's that i have sent out over the summer (2009) may have a incorrent brownout cpu setting then i programmed them.

The test is if the motor jumps if the 12V supply is disconnected or shut down. ( Its worse on a slow discharge then a sudden disconnect. ) It can potentially blow the Mosfets

I noticed this on the bench when i used a different 12 volt supply. When i turned off the 12V leaving the main on, then motor jumped. When i turned it back on one of the upper mosfets were blown.

If you have drives that do this, you may want to return them to be reprogrammed.

Larry K
    Sept 3 2009

Hello Larry,

I bought two if your drives this summer, one to replace a problem plus another to make my 4th axis. I am not running 12 volts, I am running 72 volts, and no matter what when I turn the boards off they turn a bit and my zero settings are not correct. I have checked and replaced different things, to no avail. Then I read this post and see my problem. Is there a way to program without the sending of the boards in? I am in Texas and a real hassle to send the boards, because of the 26 mile trip from where the machine is to get to a place to mail them. Also have slow internet, have to tether my telephone to access internet where the machine is. My internet address during the week is [email protected].

No, sorry the drives arn't field programmable at this time, i should have that in the new year.
    You can return the drives for reprogramming or make the main power turn off first and have the 12 volts turn on/off with a relay controlled by the main DC voltage.

Larry