585,749 active members*
3,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Quick change gearbox for HF 8x14

Quick change gearbox for HF 8x14

Well everyone, I just got done with my junior machine design project for school and thought you all would probably enjoy this.

It's a quick change gearbox capable of tuning: .050in/rev, .010 in/rev; 12, 16,18,20, 24, 28, 32, 40, and 48 tpi. sorry, no metric here. It also has a built in quick change tool feed direction function.

I've done a complete design including fab drawings, stress calculations, fatigue life analysis, press fits, you name it. this could actually be built if someone were so inclined.

I guess you probably want to see what's under the cover as well...

I am very interested in this (ME student myself).

Did you design using existing gears, or did you just pic random teeth and diameters, which would need to be custom made?

-Caleb105-
    Harbor Freight X3, Keling 387inoz 23's, 640inoz 34, G203V's, Homebuilt 65V PSU, PMDX-122 BOB, NOOK XPR screws, NOOK SBN ballnuts, Shuttle Pro2, Mach3

Quote Originally Posted by caleb105 View Post
    I am very interested in this (ME student myself).

Did you design using existing gears, or did you just pic random teeth and diameters, which would need to be custom made?

-Caleb105-
    they are all pre-existing gears, and can be bought from QTCgears.com. they even had the CAD models for them already, saved me a bunch of time. They do however, require the bore to be enlarged, as it needs a fairly beefy shaft to hold them all without much deflection while the gears are engaged and running.

I would be interested in any information you have!

Thanks!

-Caleb105-
    Harbor Freight X3, Keling 387inoz 23's, 640inoz 34, G203V's, Homebuilt 65V PSU, PMDX-122 BOB, NOOK XPR screws, NOOK SBN ballnuts, Shuttle Pro2, Mach3

I can give you the drawings if you'd like.

I just sent you an IM with my info.

-Caleb105-

Wow!

That's pretty impressive. I have an 8x14, and would love to have a quick change gearbox for it, but realistically I would never take the time to build it. :-(

I'd love to have the drawings though, if you wouldn't mind..... so I can drooll and convince myself that someday I'll actually make it.....

I'll shoot you a PM.

I'll see about posting up a .zip file with the drawings in it for everyone.

Althouth i've already noticed one design flaw already(chair). a stupid mistake of course...

the gear "arm" on the very left hand side in the second picture; the shaft that goes through the large gear and linkes it to the other gear on that shaft, for whatever reason, I made the shaft a press fit into the outside housing pieces, when in reality, the gears should be pressesed onto the shaft, and the shaft rotate freely around the housings. (chair) An easy fix, but still stupid.

suddenly the 9x20 seems very attractive for those wanting a quick change toolbox

just playing, great work on the model!

Has anyone built this as yet, or have more info on it? Thank-you Mike J.

I have an 8 x 14 Lathemaster and would be very interested in building this gearbox! Does anyone have the drawings? Please let me know. Thanks so much!

Bill C.

Pretty slick! I admire the ingenuity many folks here have in making a small lathe have a feature it's not meant to have. Hope you got an A!

Did you graduate? My nephew just got his Civil Eng degree at Purdue. I'm the only one in my family without a degree from Purdue, so I just work there
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

I have an 8x14 Lathemaster and i am very interested in building this QC gearbox if you wouldn't mine i would love to have the Drawings Plans. Please let me know Thank You Alberto

wow, blast from the past!

Yes i graduated, and yes i got an A

I'll look to see if I still have the CAD models. if I do, i'll post them up.

I know I'm 14 years [way, way]too late, but I just happen to run into this forum, by accident, today. I wondered does anyone have these drawings and plans, to share, still? I just bought an HF 8" x 12" Lathe and loved it's features, capabilities and it's performance but...I'm not in love with it's rudimentary gear threading system. I've done mods to this lathe following Dan's Hobbies, on you tube. Quick Change tool post (only for my Aloris AXA QCTP), gear train mod, etc. But would find a a gearbox to be a much improved threading system, can anyone help?