585,974 active members*
4,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1-2-3 blocks!?

Okay, I'll admit I'm stumped. Even as a pure newcomer to metal working & milling machines, I thought I understood something as simple as a 1-2-3 block. But when I tried to setup an unusual holding fixture, I couldn't figure out how to use the lowly 1-2-3 block.

I assumed the non-threaded holes would accept the studs, but no joy. And trying to use the the studs in the threaded holes doesn't allow you to screw it down to the table either!

How the heck do you use these things!

tom

What exactly are you trying to do?

99% of the time I use them to lift the work up out of the vice or off the table. Try bolting them down to the table with smaller studs/bolts.

Tom,

There is a good chance your studs may need to be turned down to pass through the blocks, some of less expensive import 1-2-3 blocks have smaller diameter holes.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Tom,

If you want to get some fixture setup ideas check this out>

http://www.stevenseng.com/cad_library.html

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks for the link Jeff.

I'm confused: shouldn't I widen the holes in the blocks instead of turning down the studs? The studs thread fine in the block. They just don't pass through the non-threaded holes.

To clarify: I'm trying to use the mill to remove some metal from a screen door frame top piece. It's shaped like a T and I need to remove the section that goes against the door frame, because of the way the builder added trim. (Yes, I could remove the trim, but I _want_ to use the mill! )

Tom

Tom,

I completely understand that the threads in the block are fine, I did not suggest cutting the threads down.

You can try and open up the holes in the 1-2-3 block however it is hardened very well.

Most of us use smaller diameter bolts or studs that will pass through the existing holes and into a T-slot nut with the appropriate sized thread that fits.

Jeff...

The holes in the inexpensive import 1-2-3 blocks are the wrong diameter, they are to small for the studs that fit the block threads to pass through.

You have several choices.

1. Turn down the diameter of some extra studs leaving a portion of the thread the same size.
    Turning down a set of studs is extra work and may not be worth your time.

2. Use smaller diameter studs with matching t-nuts.

3. Machine the holes in the blocks to the correct size with carbide tooling.

Jeff...

Not trying to hijack the thread but ...

What size are the threads in a 1-2-3 block? I bought a couple of sets recently. There's no information on the packaging about thread sizes. The only thread gauges I have are metric.
    Regards
    Geoff

My cheap ones from Enco are 3/8" 16 thread.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Ditto.

tom

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tooManyHobbies View Post
    Ditto.

tom
    All 1-2-3 Block Sets are 3/8-16 as far as I know. It is the standard for even B&S Ultra Precisions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6332.jpg   IMG_6337.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

This is a good read about the subject>

http://tinyurl.com/c5p6zt

Jeff...