585,719 active members*
4,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3d tool paths

hi,

I bought a CNC router a few months ago. I have been using bobcad 19 for routing 2d parts. I draw every thing in AutoCAD and dxfout into bobcad. I mostly use bobcad to generate tool paths and g-code.

I have not created 3d parts yet, but I am very proficient in AutoCAD 3d. My thoughts are that I would create the model in AutoCAD and dxfout or IGES out into bobcad. Then generate tool paths, similar to what I do in 2d. I have heard many good things about CNCone and creating 3d models.

So my question is this. For those who have use both CNCone and Bobcad. If I am creating the model in AutoCAD, would there be any benefit to switch from Bobcad to CNCone. I would be using only tool path generation functions, and the NC side of the program. I don't think I would be interested in comparing the model creation features between the two programs.

Does any one know how much One CNC cost? I tried to find out on the web page, but you have to contact them to get a quote. The problem with contacting vendors to get a price quote, is that they will do follow up calls, and pester you until you buy.

Thanks in advance for any help

Gina

Hi,

I too am considering Onecnc. I think that One is going to be much more intuitive to use than Bobcad. As far as cost, I think the Onecnc express is $1000-1500. Good luck.

The problem with contacting vendors to get a price quote, is that they will do follow up calls, and pester you until you buy.

Gina,
    I cannot imagine OneCNC not respecting your request of no followup contact, sure they want to sell but they are also a professional company. If repeated followup is a concern then just ask for a quote and you will contact them later with any additional questions or a on-line demo. They cannot follow up unless you give them your telephone or email address.

Edit:
    To purchase OneCNC and not use the Cad is not a good expenditure of money, it would be like buying a car just to listen to the radio and never drive it. The integrated support for both CAD and CAM is just too useful not to exploit.

If you have high speed internet, get the online demo. You will love the software.

Top of the line XR mill expert is around $6500.

Red face

Thanks to all who responded. It is true paying 6,500 and not using the cad side of the software would be like buying a car and just using the radio. I think I will stay with Bob Cad. It is affordable, and I have been able to create my parts wih Bob Cad and auto Cad with no major problems.

Thanks for the advice.

Gina

Gina,

OneCNC has packages that start in the $1000 to $1500 range....

Call them and get some info...they are not like some other cad/cam companies that send you a fax or phone call every three days after you contact them..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)