585,735 active members*
4,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How do I attach anything to an X3 head?

How do I attach anything to an X3 head?

I want to attach a router and other things to my X3 head but unlike an X2 there aren't good tapped holes on the bottom to attach things to. The only good one is for a bolt you adjust up against the bottom of the motor to stop flexing. I see that there is a screw just to the left of the spindle lock. Does anyone know what this screw does? There are 4 really small screw holes on the left side for a cover plate but the motor really gets in the way of that. Should I mutilate this new head and drill and tap holes in it? Guess the warranty is gone if I do isn't it?

Hi Slash,

I'm up to the same thing as you. I looked around a bit and decided to follow S_J_H's approach.

He's got a photo up at the end of this thread....
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...=S_J_H+spindle

I bought a 3/4" piece of 6061 and hopefully have the time this weekend to make the bracket that clamps onto the spindle.

Cheers, Kalvin

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post
    Hi Slash,

I'm up to the same thing as you. I looked around a bit and decided to follow S_J_H's approach.

He's got a photo up at the end of this thread....
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...=S_J_H+spindle

I bought a 3/4" piece of 6061 and hopefully have the time this weekend to make the bracket that clamps onto the spindle.

Cheers, Kalvin
    Hi Kalvin, thanks for pointing that out. Looks very interesting. What kind of router are you planning on running? I'm thinking about a dewalt. Do you have the Grizzly or Central Machinery?

I like the look of S_J_H's setup and it sounds like it worked out ok so I'm trying to copy it. I can get the same router from Home Depot here in Canada.

I'm thinking of adding some cooling passages to the spindle body to pump coolant thru to keep the temps down.

I have the Grizzly X3. We don't have Grizzly or Central Machine here in Calgary, I had to bring my mill up from the states.

I have to point out S_J_H is also a member of this board and has been very helpful with a bunch of enquiries I had on his project. Thank you Steve.

Cheers, Kalvin

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    Hi Kalvin, thanks for pointing that out. Looks very interesting. What kind of router are you planning on running? I'm thinking about a dewalt. Do you have the Grizzly or Central Machinery?

Smile

You are welcome Kalvin. Post some pics when you get it all setup!

Steve