584,808 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > how to load stl file in to the current design M3

how to load stl file in to the current design M3

hello, guys my problem is that i cant load an stl file when i try with XFORM/STL File,after i choose the file ,it appears on the screen then it asks wether is gonna save it in binary or ascii ,no matter what options i chose the stl file desapears from the sreen ,what i am trying to do is bring the stl file to use as stock for restmill mach. to avoid collition that showed up at verify, thank you for your help.any help at all is greatly appreaciated.
    in the dialog box of restmill parameters i have options : all previous operations,one other operation,roughing tool, and stl file, shouldnt be there an option to chose which stl file? am i supposed to open the stl file as a new drawing ? thank you again for your time and experience.

If you have selected "Surface Rough Restmill"

While selecting your "Drive Surfaces", there is also a box for CAD, this is where/when you select the STL file
    If you missed selecting it, it can be modified through the "Geometry"
    It comes onto the screen for visual verification, if position/shape is correct, accept, and continue.It does not remain on the screen, nor do you have to save it into your file, it is a separate file altogether
    NOTE.. modify or delete this STL file, then you cannot regen this restmill operation

The "Restmaterial Parameters" should have the STL selected checked ON.

Stock Rsolution = large # = quicker paths, but not complete ( good for roughing), smaller #=better blends etc (slower)

Cusp handling = if roughing, it eliminates little bits from the calculations that will be done when you go to finish those features.

thank you for your help

thank you for the advice, i finally been abel to pick the stl file for the rest mill operation but i still getting collisions on verify and i dont now how to fix that, any one can give me advice on how can i avoid collisions? thank you very much you guys are good friends .

This is where your judgement comes into play,

If you have good paths that machines in the correct areas, then just start playing with the arc lead in ( try 1/2 cutter x 90° sweep), or even add material to cusps, use direction as last resort

You could also try the HSM restmilling, it is presented in a different format and the toolpaths generated are a little kinder on the machines

it could also be your top of stock settings or your retract settings, or you clearance settings..