585,727 active members*
4,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Strange Behaviour

After 2 weeks down fixing the toolchanger I tried to run the machine and make some parts. The machine was working fine before but...

The first tool drills 144 tiny holes in a ring on a Haas indexer...simple...

G1Z-.08F1.5
    G0Z.08
    144 times

What it was doing was going down about .04 then shooting down about .13 total. Obviously the tool broke after a few times...

If I single stepped it it would behave itself fine..

I recently upgraded to plus in order to get the backlash comp.

It's running now. I changed the SETUP - TOLERANCE to .0002 from .002 and tuned the amps a little.

WHAT THE HELL

can I trust this machine not to kill me?

Nelson
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

There's always a reason, sometimes its hard to find it. (did you know that 2 plus 2 times 4 is always ten?) This is where a maintenance agreement with Camsoft is worth its weight in gold. If you take the time to do a bit of research and fact gathering they will really come through.

You want to learn to use the logfile feature and catch a machine log right when the machine misbehaves.

Another feature I find useful is a ton of messages in my code that can be activated with a user defined button. My button "full messaging" just changes variable \140=1 Then there's lines all over like this one:
    IF \140=1 THEN MESSAGE . Start of RapidPercent

The whole key here is to find the exact line that is executing when the machine doesn't do your bidding. That and a logfile will make troulbe shooting easier.

Karl

Good Luck

Karl

Thanks Karl,

Tolerance in Setup seems to have been the fix, though the information from Camsoft says it should not have this effect.

The other thing is ...you do this stuff a lot... the controller card sees the encoder info...unless there is noise which there is not... why would a machine lose position? ie, change the maximum speed to a high value and do a back and forth repetition... I will lose my position... These encoders are the BEST diff, quad, shielded AND capable of very high rpms...so where are the thousandths going???

I swear I'm never going to do this again.

All the Best!
    Nelson

I don't know where Camsoft is coming from...I have done the logfile repeatedly. This problem shows nothing...the machine is smiling like the dog that just ate the family's dinner and has no clue a beating is forthcoming.

One thing really bugs me...They print a manual without the things we take for granted...like an appendix containing error codes and descriptions, etc, etc, etc.

Karl, don't you think looking through a couple hundred questions and answers for help is stupid? it's not even sorted in any way...come on!

it falls into the "what were they thinking" category..............

Nelson

Really.

I can see your frustration level is HIGH right now. Time for a break.

I must be a total nerd, I actual enjoy sleuthing a problem out. trust me you either have a logic problem or a wiring problem. Its something simple and stupid. I know this because it always is. KISS. I solve 90% of my issues first thing in the morning after a night's rest on it.

You mention speeds changing, I'd first disable feed and speed pots and see the effect. Big problems are just a little problem hiding. Also, when you say it CAN'T be that, you're closing your mind off. for example, how are your powering your encoders? NOT from the PC, I hope. When soembody says weird s$%^t is happening, I start with wiring, power supplies, commons, ground loops.

For manuals, take a look at the help directory. For example History Files.rtf is a great discussion of the logfile feature. You're right the FAQ section isn't indexed, but it is searchable. And you have a point on error codes, I don't know of a listing here.

Karl