585,759 active members*
3,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport BTC-1

I have started to Retrofit my BTC-1. I have gutted the control cabinet I left the wiring from cabinet to cabinet intact. It is in very good shape for 30 years old. I plan to use the old servo's. I originally was going to use the original VFD but it went BANG. So I replaced that with a Vector Drive. I have installed the new Click PLC with with 2 additional input modules and 1 additional output Module. All are wired to the inputs and outputs I plan to use. I still have to wire up the cnc4c B.O.B. Here are some pics

Looking good.
    It is nice to see that you are making progress with your machine.

I just ordered the click plc to handle the tool changer on my BTC-1 also.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Getting things moving

Today I got the Tool Changing started. I got the tool removal and replacement subroutines down. They are working great.
    Tool Removal
    1 the orientation solonoid is activated
    2 the spindle rotates at 10 hz in low gear until a reed switch is activated for pre-orientation.
    3 the full orientation reed switch show positive
    4 the draw bar is energized (ground plane then primary diaphram)
    5 the tool arm solonoid is now activated
    6 as the tool arm arrives at the spindle the secondary diaphram is activated.
    7 the tool is released into the tool arm and goes back into the carrousel
    Tool replacement is exactly opposit of above.
    I used 2 inputs to activate this, 1 for each subroutine. That way I can easily impliment this into Mach3
    The tool arm never stops it just looks flawless. I will try to post a video up of this.
    :rainfro:

Tool change madnesssssss!!!!!!!!

Very cool to see it progressing. I can't wait to see the video.

I do have a question, Are you using the spindle brake during the tool change. I have not put mine back in place on the machine yet and was wondering if it is needed during the tool change?

Mike

Spindle Brake

I am not using the spindle brake, because the i am running at low frequency 10 hz and my VFD has dynamic braking built in it seems to work great. I am having trouble with the reed switch for the pre-orientation not signalling every time, that signal is set to reset my signal to the VFD for forward null speed setting. I may need to replace it. But my VFD just sets an error code when this happens so nothing is damaged. I am working on the Carrousel Today wish me luck, I have no past experiance with VB scripting
    Jaime

Best of luck with the VB. I will be starting mine this week when the plc shows up. There are several examples of tool change macro's out there and lots of helpful people here on the forum. Keep me posted with the progress and let me know if I can help.

Mike

Here is a Video of the Tool Removal and Replacement

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR4yqt8a6hU"]YouTube - Bridgeport BTC-1 Toolchanging with click plc[/ame]

Tool changing

Learning to program a PLC and Visual Basic at the same time is causing my brain to become inflamed

I do have my PLC reading the tool location and Mach reading the register through a brain and setting my current tool DRO.
    So I am making progress just SLOWLY.
    I will update when I have more news, Good I hope.
    Jaime

Talking Getting Further

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJZHrZ1jRU"]YouTube - Toolchanging with Click and Mach Communicating[/ame]

If you first don't succeed try try again, video quality is low on my phone.

Looks like you've got me beat on the tool changing.
    I have my click talking to the computer and will do some programing tonight.
    I will post some video when I have made more progress.

Although the video is grainy, it sure makes up for that in the fact that the tool change is working well.

Mike

Hi,
    Nice work, both of you! If possible I would very much appreciate if you could post some photos of the arm arangement and carousel etc. I've been thinking alot of how an ATC can be done on a knee-mill and this is actually the first one I've come across.

It looks like the tools aren't held in the carousel by the V-groove in the holder, is that correct?

Thanks guys, keep the videos and photos coming!

/Henrik.

those are special btc only tool holders with 2 grooves

Pics of BTC Toolchanger

Air over Hydraulic Cylinder for drive mechanism

The Cylinder drive the rack which in turn Rotates the Spur gear that is attached to the Grooved plate that removes and inserts the Tool

This picture is of the arm at the Spindle about to lower the arm by the cam follower in the Grooved Pulley

This is the picture of the tool arm at the spindle that coincides with the previous picture.

More Pics of Toolchanger

This is the stop plate that hold the arm in the Out position< at this point the caroussel would turn to your new tool. Then the Drive Cylinder would reverse the cycle.

This is the caroussel, it has a locating point that mates with the notch in the bottom ring of the Toolholder
    The Spidle is located with a cylinder to align with the tool holder in the arm.
    Hopefully these helped H.O.