584,808 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What stepper motor should I use thread
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: What stepper motor should I use thread

Quote Originally Posted by mokhabarat View Post
    As for using a different driver, can i get the inputs for the new driver from the A4988 outputs? just wire that driver to the new driver?
    The adapter and driver I linked two would exactly replace one of your drivers. You unplug the little A4988, and plug in the adapter, then the other end of that cable connects to the new driver. You wire the motor, and motor power, directly to the new driver and away you go.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Come check us out @ www.cncpartsonline.com

I think this is the post of SWEDE'S you are referring to
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/linea...-software.html

Quote Originally Posted by mokhabarat View Post
    hello

I read through this forum but to be honest my limited knowledge about the subject prevents me from understanding some of the terms listed and how to deal with them.

I built a 3m by 1.8m cnc machine and had it up and running until I decided to upgrade my 700W spindle motor to a 3.5kW one complete with a VFD.

The problem I'm facing is that my carriage now weighs about 14KG (about 31lbs) and my openbuilds NEMA23 motor cant lift the spindle anymore for Z-axis movement. X and Y axes still work fine, both are also using NEMA23s.

The Z axis holds the spindle motor and drops it fine but cannot lift it, i can lower the spindle motor and keep it still but cannot get upward movement, when I try it just tries to spin upwards but ends up slipping downwards.

What I want to know is if I upgrade to a NEMA34, will I be able to fix this? Do I need to upgrade my driver as well for this stepper? I'm using a 24V power supply with 36amps capacity and this driver from amazon couple onto an arduino uno.(Witbot CNC Shield Expansion Board V3.0 +UNO R3 Board for Arduino+ A4988 Stepper Motor Driver With Heatsink Kits for Arduino)
    https://www.amazon.com/Witbot-Expans...bot+cnc+shield

Counter balance springs if on budget.?.

I use a number of "tools" on my nema 23 powered Z plate, including a big heavy motor & spindle from a dead mill. I added an air cylinder to assist the Z, i can dial in the air pressure to balance the load. It has been working great for years.

Page 4 of 4 234