584,865 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Solid works

Page 1 of 2 12

Solid works

Im having some problems with solid works files that have geometry above z-0
    that should not be there. I have checked these files with rhino and alias and they show nothing.V23 and 21 show the same problem.
    I am attaching a file that has these problems.
    I have sent them to bobcad and they are looking at it. just wondering if anyone has seen the same problem.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    Im having some problems with solid works files that have geometry above z-0
    that should not be there. I have checked these files with rhino and alias and they show nothing.V23 and 21 show the same problem.
    I am attaching a file that has these problems.
    I have sent them to bobcad and they are looking at it. just wondering if anyone has seen the same problem.
    Thanks
    I vaguely recall something about SW and verifying surface normals. I could be wrong but in your menu click on View - Surface Normal to make sure your normals are going the "right way". You may need to click View - Transparency to see all of them.

I might be way off here but there was something I remembered about it. Also, BobCAD's CAD module will also occasionally create surfaces that show above Z zero when you verify the entities even if you didn't draw them that way. Not sure what that's about.

EDIT: You can reverse the normal by going to Utilities - Reverse Surface Normal

SBC,
    I tried reverse normals with no luck. I was hoping you were on to something.These files are direct from SWorks not drawn in bobcad.
    Thanks

I looked at your post, but I couldn't find any SW file that you implied was attached. What version of SW?
    PKS

This sounds like what you are seeing is "bounds data" and not geometry above zero.

More info would help.

So is what you are saying is you import a model that has geometry set at Z 0 and when you entity summary it is .0012 or something like that?

file

Sorry here is the file. Tried both 2008 and 2009 and same problem
    Attached Files Attached Files

Burrman,
    I dont see geometry just entity summary shows as much as .25 above 0.
    Then to do machine workyou have to lower part .25 below 0.
    Thanks Dave

Yeah, I think this is bounds data. One way you can check it is to create a new layer and extract all the edges to it then hide the part layer and look again at the entity summary. I have 4 digits viewable so it then see's .0001. If you look in front view and zoom in on the upper left corner you will see where that edge rises above z a smidgeon.

The bounds data thing is most likely a tolerance setting in the other app that creates the issue. look in your other app for a tolerance setting and set it to something like .00001 then try to re-export the geometry to bobcad and see if it changes to a more true value.

BTW: Heres your part back slightly modified. It had some cracks in the surface.

If you extract the edges of this file the entity summary is Z=0

I understand the extracted edges are at z0 but if you are doing 3d rough the part still needs to move down .1845 to machine. Is there a way to fix this or do i need to try tolerence settings in SW.
    Thanks Dave

This is a question I never answered. Our fix was to up the tol settings in the creating app and get the proper value. I dont have solidworks so I couldnt test it for you and other apps settings didnt change it. I would try to see if solidworks can fix it with a tolerance change.

This question though has been in the back of my mind and I just spoke to a machine operator and set a test in motion. "For a 3d toolpath, does moving imported geometry down by the bounds data, or changing the top of part setting in the feature edit, change the surface toolpath and result in less of a cut?"

I'll post back the answer I come up with.

Ok thanks.

Ths file had gaps and folty surfaces.

Faulty faces and gaps are cleaned in this file, Try with this one

looks good but still shows entities .185 above z0.

Does anyone know how to change tolerance settings in solid works for export of files. I cant find anyplace to change it.
    Thanks Dave

The problem isn't with the Export, it is with the import. To understand why, it is first necessary to understand how the system handles surfaces.

There are multiple radii blending together to form the surface, but the surface is described as the contours and the bounds. BobCAD's import routine treats it as a rectangular surface and then trims it to the bounds, this is how you ended up with the value above 0. The only surface causing this is the large surface on the top. [BTW: This is the simplified explanation, so ones results will vary depending on the model integrity.]

Can you post the original model? Where did it come from again?

If you want to find the problem surface:
    Select a surface.
    Right click and choose Entity Summary. The Entity summary dialog will report the information for only the selected elements.

When nothing is selected it reports the information for everything in the Workspace.

Regards

The One,
    The file originated from solid works. It was saved as an iges file and solid works file. All saved parts had the same problem with entities above z 0. I can find out the surface that is causing it by deleting surfaces till its gone. I just want to know how to fix it. It seems to be a bobcad issue because none of the other programs i opened them in (solid works, rhino and alias) show entities above z 0.
    Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    Does anyone know how to change tolerance settings in solid works for export of files. I cant find anyplace to change it.
    Thanks Dave
    Per the rest of the thread, this may not be your issue, but here is the answer anyway...

You change the export tolerance settings when you select the "Save As" command. At the bottom right, after you change to the new file type under "Save File As", there is an "Options..." button. Click it, and you should get sliders or dropdowns (depends on file type) to adjust precision for various file export types. There are also some "canned" settings for "Course", "Fine", etc.

still no answers

Did some checking on the solid works export. Solid works does not have tolarancs settings for export it works in exact numbers only.
    Still having problems but no answers from bobcad yet.
    Dave

So you cant control unit decimal display in solidworks???

Page 1 of 2 12