585,670 active members*
4,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Design American Precision Level

A precision level I made in 2003. It is based on Swiss / German levels. The 3D Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 8 or higher) file (picture) allows rotating to see all sides. Level vial is glued or held with rubber bands to vial holder. Vial is adjustable side to side (Azimuth) and up and down (Elevation Inclination).
    ...... I bought level vial from http://www.wamoyer.com/index.html
    The small cross level is easy to remove from any cheap plastic level. I milled base with a "flycutter" all at once with a wide cutter. This way V and flat base is aligned. Also milling extra in center 1/2 allows level firmly sitting on it's ends if concerned about base flatness not that I have seen any rocking on a granite surface plate. It is lower profile and more open than a "box" level and had room for a small LED light. It has an adjustment knob pushing against an o-ring spring. Design worked very good for many years.
    ..... Other design modifications are possible. I am just saying if you want an American made Precision Level for under $40 maybe you just got to make one yourself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

How did you make that .PDF? And what was the level originally drawn in?

Making 3D Adobe Acrobat Reader files

I used Solidworks which using Save As you select pdf and make sure the 3D box is checked. I made some of the parts partially transparent to give the effect of having Xray vision.

I use this at work to save an Assembly of hundredths and sometimes thousands of parts to try to see how it works. How it is assembled. And when it sometimes is not working right try to figure out why before shutting done production on a big machine that makes millions of dollars a day in product.

I find making all the parts just outlines (wireframe) can be confusing.

I lost my job in 2005 when my old machines were shutdown and the building was demolished (taxes can make demolishing a building cheaper than reusing it). It has been my goal since 2005 to use modern technology like CAD CAM when ever possible. 3d pdf files are an easy way to show 3D CAD models without the other person having to have expensive software.