585,969 active members*
4,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Low(ish) voltage high amp power supply?

Low(ish) voltage high amp power supply?

I'm working on a brushless dc conversion for my mill, and I'm trying to find a cheap 24v 40-60A regulated power supply, or a way to build one.

The motor is a 1600 kv BLDC, input range of 6-24v - I'm sure it'll do a little higher with a large heat sink - 45A continous, and 60A for 60s.

I've got a controller that can handle that, but its designed for RC applications, it has an input voltage of 6-30v, and up to 100a continous, 110a burst for 30s.

Just not having any sort of luck finding a power supply. I found a 15v 40a ($25) switching power supply on ebay that I'll probably use for the time being, but that limits my power to roughly 600w, which is a substantial increase over my current 186w motor, but more power might be useful in the future. More importantly the higher voltage will allow a faster speed which makes belt reduction easier.

I imagine I'll need some sort of regulated power supply, mostly because of the controller is designed to run off a battery, and there's usually not a lot of voltage swing there.

I'm trying to find the cheapest power supply I can, while I'm not the greatest with electronics, I've happily assembled quite a few boards in the past and I know enough of the basics to design simple circuits, just have no idea where to start with a regulated power supply like this. There appear to be no simple linear regulators that I can find either in this power range.

Normally you do not require a regulated supply for servo's.
    Your going to need at least a 1.5kva transformer.
    You might try Anatek, he makes and sells Toroid transformers on ebay under jonango.
    You then need a 4 diode bridge and you will need to go with some very large capacitance values for smoothing.
    The is uncommonly low voltage for CNC servo's, higher voltage is obviously usually available and this makes it easier to spec in lower current devices for the same wattage.
    Is this for servo duty or spindle?
    Are you replacing a 186w motor with a 1.6kw over 8 times larger?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Well I'm not worried about the motor, I'm worried about the control electronics. The bldc motor can probably handle just about whatever's thrown at it until the enamel starts to melt... The control electronics on the other hand are meant to run off a battery so I'm not sure how it would handle voltage spikes, so I need a clean dc power source.

And yes I'm replacing a my ac spindle motor with a bldc motor... Yes, its probably overkill