585,604 active members*
3,230 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Accurate, quick and inexpensine DIY minimill

View Poll Results: Did you see this somewhere else on the net?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 66.67%
  • No

2 33.33%

Exclamation Accurate, quick and inexpensine DIY minimill

Hi Everyone!
    I had recently a few ideas wearing my philosopher hat, so I decided to share my small discovery from bigbox store. I realise that the alignement is
    the most troublesome building a small mill. I couldnt drill or mill accurate holes
    with my ordinary tools. So I finde the slotted flat plate with holes. I used them as guide, and sliders. It fits a 3/8 rod. Try to finde a straight one, or drilling rod is better. Drill a few small holes for screws, clampit, markit, drill
    the wood with bigger bits than 3/8 for less trouble. Align again, clamp, screw.
    And you will have the axe. On the picture used pipes. Don't use them, they are not straight. Better cut wood for z axe holder. Ill try to post some pictures. Also I discovered other slotted plates in the big store, with 2 holes
    about 1/2 inch. They need to be diled wery slightly, and here you go again.
    They are a bit thinner, but sell about 78C Can. each. With this method you can build again all 3 axes. They come pretty tight, almost no movement, and
    slide well. I didnt try for bigger machine or hevier weight to carry, but in my opinion it should work using 1/2 inch rod.
    This is all for now, stay tuned for some pictures.
    Rossz the Philosopher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TheMillWithSlotedPlateAsSliders.jpg   The Tools.jpg   TheParts.jpg   ClampAndMark.jpg  

ToCutStrip.jpg   ToRais.jpg  

That's a very good idea...has anyone else done something along these lines?

-- Chuck Knight

OK...the last thing I want to do is be insulting, so please don't take it that way. I have read and re-read, but have no idea what in the world is a slotted plate with holes. If anybody else has another description, could you please help me understand? I thought I understood when you posted in another thread, but now I am just clueless. I like your machine though! How well does it work? What do you use it for?
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hobbiest!
    On my bill from big box store is written "strap tie", which you can see on part pictures, but on the assambled cnc is used a different "sloted palte" was written on it
    find in area with threded rod and angles. The strap tie is used for building fances, so you look in that area in store. My machine is in slow progress, cant find cheap steppers from my usual sources. But now my computer is working again, so some
    more pictures are comming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skelet.JPG   SlotPlateComp.JPG   Xaxe.JPG  

Hi!
    Here are more pictures, about the machine. You can make the same lead nut in derline
    just drill a hole smaller than the nut, then heat it on oven, and push it with players. Make sure it is straight. The y axe was easy, but to aligne the worktable plexiglass was harder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LeadNutMkg.JPG   AlignY.JPG   AlignY2.JPG   ComplX1.JPG  

ComplX2.JPG  

Steppers still missing

Hi!
    The machine is almost completed, but not my search for 2 identical steppers. (I want them cheap). The X and Y axe are stiff, almost no side movements. Pay attention when driwing the screw in the wood, always clamp the peace because wood can move. Now I'm puttind the power supply
    into the column, and lather driwer comes on top. This will make it more compact.
    Regards Rossz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front.JPG   Side.JPG