584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > Help running/installing EMC for new Linux user...
Page 1 of 3 123

Help running/installing EMC for new Linux user...

Just the other day I loaded Linux for the first time and am really impressed with the OS so far. Now that have the OS running I am trying to get EMC installed and I am confused with what to do. So far I have downloaded the ISO image but need to run or install the software and am not sure what to do next? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have Ubuntu 8.04 installed already on your computer? The downloaded cd is to but ubuntu 8.04 on to your computer and add the EMC files etc. If you already have Ubuntu 8.04 on your computer then follow these instructions:
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc..._EMC2_packages
    If you have not installed Ubuntu and want to use the cd to install, put the cd in the drive and restart the computer, if the iso is good ubuntu will start - then install it .
    Hope that helps.

Did you download the newest EMC2 LiveCD? It has Ubuntu 8.04 with EMC2 2.3.0 installed on it. You can find it at linuxcnc.org

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    Did you download the newest EMC2 LiveCD? It has Ubuntu 8.04 with EMC2 2.3.0 installed on it. You can find it at linuxcnc.org

Alan
    That's how I installed mine a few months ago...a painless installation and setup for THIS Linux newbie.

Well the good news is that I was able to load EMC. However, it now seems that my desktop looks different. I was using Ubuntu but now I think i am running Debian? Does this make any sense?

Still trying to figure this Linux thing out.

OK, point of clarification. Are you running EMC or EMC2? EMC is the original branch of the software released by NIST and I am not aware that much if any maintenance is being done on it. EMC2 is much upgraded and currently maintained GPL version of the software.

If you loaded EMC2 onto a Ubuntu installation it shouldn't change it to Debian. However, both Ubuntu and Debian use ".deb" files for upgrades. If you are running EMC2, your desktop might well look different. EMC2 initially installs using Gnome instead of KDE.

Alan

OK, point of clarification. Are you running EMC or EMC2? EMC is the original branch of the software released by NIST and I am not aware that much if any maintenance is being done on it. EMC2 is much upgraded and currently maintained GPL version of the software.

If you loaded EMC2 onto a Ubuntu installation it shouldn't change it to Debian. However, both Ubuntu and Debian use ".deb" files for upgrades. If you are running EMC2, your desktop might well look different. EMC2 initially installs using Gnome instead of KDE.

Alan
    I think I installed EMC (not EMC2). The install version I had was BDI install that I believe used Debian instead of Ubuntu. I am slowly figuring this stuff out but it just still is a little strange.

Right now I am downloading the Live CD of Ubuntu with EMC2. Once it downloads (a few hours) will reinstall and this should take care of my problems. I will post the results once I give it a shot.

Thanks for the help.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by BWay View Post
    I think I installed EMC (not EMC2). The install version I had was BDI install that I believe used Debian instead of Ubuntu. I am slowly figuring this stuff out but it just still is a little strange.

Right now I am downloading the Live CD of Ubuntu with EMC2. Once it downloads (a few hours) will reinstall and this should take care of my problems. I will post the results once I give it a shot.

Thanks for the help.

Brad
    You're welcome,

Keep us posted.
    Alan

The installed the Live CD with Ubuntu/EMC2 off the linuxcnc.org site and it worked great. I now have the OS and EMC2 app installed. After I started EMC2 for the first time it asked for which sample configuration files I would like to load. I looked over the list and was not sure. I am currently building a 3 axis servo router using Gecko 320's and a CNC4PC C11T breakoutboard. I recognize I am will need to customize the software for my specific setup BUT which sample config. files would be a good place to start?

Thanks!

Brad

probably using 'EMC2 Stepconf' (you find it under applications/cnc) would be the best way to build a custom configuration in your case. Stepconf is a 'wizard' specializing in building stepper based machines using the parallel port. Don't forget to read the manuals

Quote Originally Posted by chester88 View Post
    probably using 'EMC2 Stepconf' (you find it under applications/cnc) would be the best way to build a custom configuration in your case. Stepconf is a 'wizard' specializing in building stepper based machines using the parallel port. Don't forget to read the manuals
    I have heard about the Stepconf wizard but was always under the impression that this is for stepper motors. Since I will be using servo's with the Gecko product does the stepconf apply since it is still step/direction servo system rather than a closed loop servo system?

Thanks,
    Brad

I would agree with Chester. Don't be thrown by the fact that stepconf is designed for stepper drives, because using the G320, it appears to the system as a stepper drive even though it is actually a servo. The G320 "closes the loop" internally as opposed to in the PC as many servo users recommend (and which EMC2 is designed to support). You lose some potential benefits but get a simpler setup.

Alan

I would agree with Chester. Don't be thrown by the fact that stepconf is designed for stepper drives, because using the G320, it appears to the system as a stepper drive even though it is actually a servo. The G320 "closes the loop" internally as opposed to in the PC as many servo users recommend (and which EMC2 is designed to support). You lose some potential benefits but get a simpler setup.

Alan
    Thanks for the feedback Chester and Alan. This all is starting to make sense. I originally was considering building a closed loop system using Pico PWM controller & drives but was concerned about the complexity between EMC2 and the hardware. Based on my initial research I was having trouble getting answers from Pico and if I had gone down that path I would have been forced to use EMC since I do not believe that the Pico hardware works with Mach3.

For this reason my initial design planned on using a Gecko 320/Mach3 type setup. For my first machine it just seemed like it would keep everything more straightforward. As I have continued to read about Linux/EMC2 I have been very intrigued and now I am favoring using the Gecko setup up with EMC. If for some reason I have problems getting everything working together I will use Mach3 but I am hopeful EMC will work great.

Based on your experience is there anything I should be aware of using Gecko 320 with EMC?

Brad

Brad,

I am still just using steppers on everything that I have cnc'd. I have several steppers and am designing an H-bridge driver but still gotten to the point of actually trying servos.

Jon Elson is Pico Systems and he is very active on EMC2, if you want to get an answer from Jon, try the EMC2 Users list or the EMC-IRC channel.

Alan

Brad,

I am still just using steppers on everything that I have cnc'd. I have several steppers and am designing an H-bridge driver but still gotten to the point of actually trying servos.

Jon Elson is Pico Systems and he is very active on EMC2, if you want to get an answer from Jon, try the EMC2 Users list or the EMC-IRC channel.

Alan

The Pico system stuff looked pretty good and looked like a great fit for EMC2. Probably with a little more experience I would have pushed harder to find out more but for now I am committed to the Gecko route.

Great news... Everything worked great with downloading the Live CD and installing Ubuntu and EMC2. First impressions...the stepconfig was very easy to use, I really like the simplicity of the interface (compaired to Mach3) and everything looks fairly straightforward. Now it is time to move onto putting my controls system together.

Thanks for all the help.

Brad

Have you run a latency test? Find it under applications/cnc/latency test.
    run it on the computer you want to use. Run it without EMC running. let it run over night.
    follow this link for more info on latency tests:
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...l?Latency-Test
    If your computer is different the what is on that page please add it. We are forming a data base.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BWay View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Chester and Alan. This all is starting to make sense. I originally was considering building a closed loop system using Pico PWM controller & drives but was concerned about the complexity between EMC2 and the hardware. Based on my initial research I was having trouble getting answers from Pico and if I had gone down that path I would have been forced to use EMC since I do not believe that the Pico hardware works with Mach3.
    Almost the entire EMC development group was in Wichita for the EMC Fest from the 21st to the 27th of May. So, that is probably why you had trouble getting hold of me. It was a blast!

Anyway, my phone is 314-965-5523, and my email is elson (at) pico (dash) systems (dot) com
    Sorry about the email obfuscation, but I get 600+ messages a day already.

There is no Mach driver for my hardware, sorry.

If you still have questions, fire away.

Jon

Hello, i want to ask a question.

I run Linux and Emc2, when i`m done with the conf. wizard, i press finish, and then the picture under is coming up.

Can someone help me?

And something more, what is "table travel" ?

Greetings from Robert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot-Untitled Window.png  
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

Vegabond

That error message is from stepconf trying to make a system link (shortcut) and failing.
    What linux flavour and what desktop are you using?
    Anyways on the second page of stepconf you can de-select system links (unselect the last two checkboxs)
    hope that helps
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123