585,930 active members*
3,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle speed & Mach3

Hi,

I am just building a CNC mill and need to get information on the spindle speed into Mach3. I did a search on this Forum but had no hits. Can anybody direct me to a Tutorial or guide as to what hardware etc. I need?

Cheers.

RTFM or some such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryman View Post
    Hi,

I am just building a CNC mill and need to get information on the spindle speed into Mach3. I did a search on this Forum but had no hits. Can anybody direct me to a Tutorial or guide as to what hardware etc. I need?

Cheers.
    Here is the link to the manual and it should be handy at all times. I have done three machine and I still refer to it o a regular basis as it is so involved it is impossible for me to remember everyting that is in it.

http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach...all_Config.pdf

Your question is kind of broad and I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Hi Mike,

Many thanks indeed for your response. Between the manual you referenced and the one for my 'all in one' controller card I think I understand what to do.

I have a reflective optical switch which pulses once for each turn of the spindle. I need this to feed +5v pulses to the BoB section which interfaces Pin 10 (say) to the parallel port. In the Mach3 setup I need to assign Pin 10 / Port 1 to 'Spindle Index' and enable it. I should then have a speed reading on the Mach3 screen. My Mill has a DC motor with PWM module but I think that interfacing that will be more work than it is worth.

Thanks again!

Cheers.