584,849 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bpt dx 32 wont recognize hard drive

We purchased a used bpt vmc 760-22. We couldnt get it to boot up read through the posts on this forum. replaced the cmos bat. I had it running off of the floppy. However, it will not recognize the hard drive. I have entered all of the information in the cmos setup from the hard drive. (note it will not auto detect the hard drive.) I believe the problem is the hard drive is a 1080 mb hard drive and the cmos calculates a 504mb hard drive when I enter the following settings: user type=47, cyl=1024, hd=16, sec=63, lzn=1024. I have tried this with the wpcom set to 0 and set to 65535. The error message keeps coming up "hdd contoller error (failed)" Note this is a 486-ccv motherboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does the mother board have a plug in input/output board or does it have on board IDE controllers? Problem could be the board, the cable, the power connector, the jumper on the hard drive making it a master, slave or cable detect.
    Could be that the hard drive is toast. Does it even spool up? Is it suspended on springs or in a rubber cradle? How is it Fdisked? to maximum capacity or to the 504MB limit?
    When setting up a hard drive you Fdisk it, then format, then load OS (DOS 6.20) then load machine software and parameters.
    If the hard disk is bad, replace with a DOM. disk om a module.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

george,

I haven't fdisked. Can I do that if the board doesnt see the drive? It is suspended on springs. I'm not sure that I have a clean copy of the machine info. I know this sounds stupid, but I ran the machine on the only copy of the os that i had. I didn't plan on running it for long so i didn't take the time to make a copy. While it was running, lightning shut down our power. I made a copy of the disk then booted back up using the floppy. Now most of the screen text is cryllic (well I think its cryllic at any rate its some odd unrecognizable characters.) It has an I/o board. When I get to the shop tommorow, I'll see if it spools up. It's kind of hard to tell with all of the noise in the shop. I know it gets warm when the machine is on, but cannot say with absolute certainty if it is running. Thanks for the reply

I stuck a different hard drive in this machine. The auto detect worked instantly. However, now I dont know exactly what to do. I would assume I need to fdisk the hard drive then reinstall the os and machine files. Is that right?

Hard drive should be FDISK to the 504MB. Then that partition made active for DOS.
    Then format and load dos.
    Then the machine software. Then the machine parameters.
    Make sure tool change height, orient and backlash are correct.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

After some trial and error and formatting the hard drive twice, I am up and running. Thanks so much for your help.