585,970 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ball Screws and machine size?

I phoned a few surplus machine stores locally today and was told that they had a table that was about 6ft by 3ft . which was for a router he said it had the x and y axis already but it was al manually operated. he stated that the bench was made out of aluminium . I'm thinking or looking at it tomorrow and was just wondering what size ball screws eg diameter and TPI would be needed over 6 feet . and same for 3 ft ?? also what size steppers

For my router project the THK rep suggested 25mm for the X axis which is 2000mm long and 20 for the Y axis which is 600mm long. I think these sizes would probably suit your application too.

Table sounds interesting. Does it come with support? Keeping the thing absolutely flat once all the heavy gear is on top may be a problem.

Mike

not sure about the table yet but this place is a huge warehouse that strips old machine etc . i am going down there this afternoon with the trailer just in case it is ok and i buy it . the rep said they have a large quantity of stepper motors and ball screws etc so i will check it all out while im there . fingers crossed that it is ok. he mentioned that it is set up for vacum clamping so only time will tell wether it is any good for what i want.