584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Anyone Have a Hurco Tape Emulator/Hurco Tapes?

Anyone Have a Hurco Tape Emulator/Hurco Tapes?

I am 20, pretty fresh out of machining school going for my Mech Engineering degree. I snagged a 1982 KMB-1 and 13x40 MSC lathe from a company for $500 ea (+$1400 for rigging :/) and they now sit proudly in my garage powered by a very quiet 7.5HP "CNC Rated" rotary phase converter. Only the KMB-1 is a 4000 paper weight because I don't have any tapes for it and am not sure what to do with it yet.

I cant figure out how to make it go home to even check if its all working. I think I need the master tapes but I don't have any tapes for it.

My question are:
    Should I simply get a tape emulator and if so can the tape emulator supplier supply me with the default tapes?
    Should I try to get the master tapes first to see if the thing works? Anyone wanna loan/sell me the master tapes?

I run a business so I've pretty much sunk 3500-4000 or so into these machines so far to only have a working and very basically tooled lathe which I am certainly not making money with as I am a sales company, not a machine shop. (But I am addicted to tools. I have a better garage than everyone I know and I bought it all myself.) I could really get cool stuff made (and maybe make $$) if I had the mill going.
    CNC Machinist & Engineering Tech
    B.S.M.E. Student (Graduate 2013 @ UCF)

Wow I am really freakin' dumb and did not happen to notice that the machine did not come with an RS232 cable and that there was a CMC systems flier in the back of the instruction manual I was given. I am betting this has been retrofitted.

Now what I need is the information and programs to run the thing. Only problem is the company's phone number doesnt work, ti's been disconnected. very disappointing as theyre not THAT far away. I sent them an email on eBay. I cant wait to get this machine together and start making prototypes with it.

EDIT 2: Owners manual for HURCO TAPE INTERFACE has been located. Just need software and RS232 to USB adapter. Bought one from dealextreme that people said worked with vista for $4.30. Lets hope it gets here decently quick.

If anyone knows where I can download the CMC Systems DOS and Windows programs or you have them please post here or PM me. I am already set up for CMC systems and would prefer not to have to mess with the cabling in the interest of minimizing problems.

I really should be doing my calc homework but this is so much more interesting :/

EDIT 3: I downloaded AMTSinc.com's RS232 dos based program which was packed with PKSFX Self Extract Utility Ver 2.04g 02-01-93. I am not old enough to even remember that year. This is pretty funny but I am worried about my Vista laptop and the Chinese RS232->USB dongle I have coming even though I've had others say it worked on their Vista systems. Still would prefer the CMC software.
    CNC Machinist & Engineering Tech
    B.S.M.E. Student (Graduate 2013 @ UCF)

I'm helping a guy with a Hurco CNC tape machine that has the RS232 cable hookup in the back of the machine along with the cable. He had a programing disk that I was able to copy to my hard drive using the DOS prompt. I was able to bring up a screen with the F1... key commands. That is as far as I got with is last night. His machine works good but not sure what the model number is. Going to format a CPU for programming and load it with Windows 95. Any newer Windows programs do not work well with DOS software. I'll keep you posted.