585,761 active members*
4,129 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rotary Table Req

I've seen sites selling plans for an outragous price, i was curious if anyone here had plans for a 4" or so rotary table. one that looks semi-simple like this http://www.sherline.com/3700pg.htm doesn't look too difficult except for the gear inside it. I have access to a couple edm so that should help eliminate that problem. anyway if someone has something at a minimum it would be a neat learning experience.

I have seen someone build a rotary table with a harmonic drive coupler, others with a wormgear drive, I dont have any links on me right now.
    I recently bought the H/V rotary table from LMS and so far I am pretty satisfied. The reason I would say to buy one is that they are precision ground, parallel and acurate.

Jon

Here is a link to a really simple 4th axis.

http://www.**********.com/4thaxis.htm

The ***** is "crank*organ" without the "*".

Some reason the link turned into *****. Maybe it is a band link web site ? (wrong)

jfetting or anyone else for that matter, would precision grinding actually be needed if i was to use the edm to make the gears? and if not like i said the design of it would be cool as well to look at and learn from.

not grinding on the gears, but grinding to get the table parallel with the table of the mill and perpindicular, and to remove any runout.

I dont think it is necessary on the gears though.

Jon

ahhh gotcha now. yeah i can see where the table might cause some problems now that you say so.

Metal Lathe Accessories
    Box 88
    Pine Grove Mills, PA 16868
    (814)234-3543
    I welcome phone calls but if necessary email [email protected]
    These guys have some a nice rotary table and other accessories...you always see them in Home Shop Machinist. I've never bought from them, but their articles are always very good.

viper: thanks for the info, however it really wasn't about purchasing one, but more along the lines of the process and design of one. that's why i was looking for plans, never hurts to learn

Quote Originally Posted by h_2_o
    viper: thanks for the info, however it really wasn't about purchasing one, but more along the lines of the process and design of one. that's why i was looking for plans, never hurts to learn
    MLA actually has kits that you machine the pieces to get the final product. Generally the big pieces are made of cast iron. So, if you want to learn it's a great way to kick off the process.

wouldn't really want a kit, i'd still rather have a design. except for precision grinding on the table and the plans i readily have available to me everything needed.