584,860 active members*
5,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Z AXIS ERROR

Z AXIS ERROR

i have a partner 7, just got back a new motor for z axis, new amplifier, computer back from milltronics, every time i go to reset the drives, the motor spins, which it shouldnt, and get a following error.

Been chasing this problem for a year, need to get the machine running.

Also need a ball screw for a partner 1, both machines are 1995 years.

Thanks

A 1995 Partner 7? Was the control updated?

If it has the original SEM motors with the Tach built in, you should check the cabling to make sure the tach is connected to the control. Since it was recently rebuilt, there could be a slight chance the tach wires were swapped internally or not reconnected properly externally.

DC

Z axis

I have Parker motors, (CSM) and Servo Dynamics amps.

The control is original, Milltronics when thru the computer to make sure nothing was wrong there. Servo Dynamics when thru the amps, the problem is the same even if I switch boards. I really think it in the wiring, but I dont know which wires control the error I am getting.

Parker tried 2 different alignments thinking Milltronics does something special to make them propriitary motors, but been thru that already.

My motor will be back again Monday and would like to finish this an get it running. My partner 1 runs 14 hours a day.

Thanks for the reply

I was thinking Centurion 7 not Partner 7 Oops......my mistake. More like a Centurion 1, 5 or 6?

I am not familiar with those motors or amps, but if DC, they should have a tach feedback and encoder. AC motors and drives do not. Seems a bit old for AC servos. Shouldn't be too hard to discern what wires groups go to each system within the motor and ring out the cable for continuity back to the control.

The Z cable is the least problematic since it just sits there without flexing. Although if the cable casings get brittle and crack, I suppose there could be an issue with shorting something to ground or cross connected. So check for shorts between wires and grounds.

DC

IF YOU HAVE A PARTNER MACHINING CENTER (ABOUT 1995) WIRING TO HOMING SWITCHES HAVE INSULATION THAT WILL DISSOLVE ; SHORTS OUT SWITCH SIGNAL,WILL AUTOMATICALY FEED WRONG DIRECTION UNTIL IT HITS LIMIT SWITCH. ALSO ENCODERS ARE NOT WELL SEALED, TAKE COVER OFF AND CAREFULLY CLEAN GLASS. (ONE WAY TO CHECK ENCODER UNHOOK FROM BALL SCREW, TURN ENCODER SHAFT MOTOR SHOULD FOLLOW.)

Quote Originally Posted by HSARC View Post
    IF YOU HAVE A PARTNER MACHINING CENTER (ABOUT 1995) WIRING TO HOMING SWITCHES HAVE INSULATION THAT WILL DISSOLVE ; SHORTS OUT SWITCH SIGNAL,WILL AUTOMATICALY FEED WRONG DIRECTION UNTIL IT HITS LIMIT SWITCH. ALSO ENCODERS ARE NOT WELL SEALED, TAKE COVER OFF AND CAREFULLY CLEAN GLASS. (ONE WAY TO CHECK ENCODER UNHOOK FROM BALL SCREW, TURN ENCODER SHAFT MOTOR SHOULD FOLLOW.)
    Hate to bump a two year old thread, but I just started a new job and we have a 1999 Partner and it's having Y axis issues. Could you go into more detail about where to find the encoder and homing switches? I have the way covers removed and the lead screw turns freely. I switched the cabling on the drives between X and Y and it still trips out on Y, so it's not the driver.

The Home switch and the Overtravel switches are located under the way covers, screwed to aluminum angles, mounted under the edges of the opening for the ballscrew.

The encoder is located inside the end cover on the motor.

What are the 'Y axis issues' you are having?

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
    The Home switch and the Overtravel switches are located under the way covers, screwed to aluminum angles, mounted under the edges of the opening for the ballscrew.

The encoder is located inside the end cover on the motor.

What are the 'Y axis issues' you are having?
    The typical error is (if I remember right) a "408: Y Axis Excess error". The lead screw can be freely rotated by hand, and if I hold the reset button, I can get Y to move ~.100. It's nearly all the way back in the negative direction, and if I move it more negative I get a servo error.

Why don't you turn the screw until the table is as far towards the front as you can, at least to the center of the travel. Then Home the machine.

What does Y do now?

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
    Why don't you turn the screw until the table is as far towards the front as you can, at least to the center of the travel. Then Home the machine.

What does Y do now?
    I'll have to try that once I get some time to look at the machine a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsJeep04 View Post
    I'll have to try that once I get some time to look at the machine a little more.
    Well, gave it a try this morning. Same issue. I noticed the machine thinks it's at the same Y position, despite the table being moved. I get error 408 (Y axis excess error) and if I reset and return to the main screen I get error 449 (emergency stop: Y axis drive fault)

Possibly a limit switch and an encoder issue?

If your position isn't changing then it's your encoder, or the wiring. I've had a few of mine come apart and do the same thing. The rotary part of the encoder(not sure what it's called) is glued onto the shaft and I've had 2 of mine come unglued, i tried to repair them but just wasted my time and ended up replacing them. Milltronics has replacements for about $300 but you do have to change the wiring a bit when you put the new ones in.
    If I remember right i had to reverse the signal wires.

I'd also clean up your tach while your in there, a dirty tach can make it grumble like it has bad bearings