585,735 active members*
5,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Intake manifold modification for fuel injection

Hi all,

I have several tasks that would be easy for a good machinist.

1. I need an adapter from an aluminum intake manifold to a ford 5.0 throttle body.

2. I need the manifold drilled for injectors. They can be drilled for bungs, and bungs installed, if that is better.

3. I need a fuel rail fabricated, including some sort of retention clips for the injectors.

I live in SoCal, in the beautiful IE, and would like to work with a machinist close by.

Thanks,
    Greg

No offense towards the hot rodding spirit but you can buy those pieces off the shelf. Is there a reason you want to pay someone $50/hour to make these pieces? (and I've spent a lot of time making special pieces for my Ford 5.0 )

Edelbrock makes many of their older carburetor manifolds that have the injector ports already in place. They also sell the fuel rails to fit. As well, the elbows to fit Ford throttle bodies to the Holley carb style manifolds.

Is that it? Do you have a design or is that up to the machinist? I hate to discourage you but that's at least a week worth of work and quite a bit in materials and cutters. I'd be surprised if anybody quotes anything under $2000 to design and build what you described and that would be a bargain.

Not trying to knock the project, just trying to prepare you for the reality of it.
    Greg

no offense taken, but this isn't a normal motor. This is for a mopar slant six, and there are not a lot of off the shelf hot rodding parts built for it.

This also means that the manifold and fuel rails might be easier to modify.

Thanks,

Greg

Ahh, that makes more sense then. Sounds like you are deep in to custom territory and a fun project. Still, what you might think of as "easy for a good machinist" is still a lot of hours. Even the simple adapter plate is a half day worth of work assuming you have a drawing with dimensions.

For example:
    - How will the cast manifold be fixtured to the mill? At what angle?
    - At what angle will the injector openings need to be? Will they all be straight? Splayed? Do they all mount at the same depth?
    - Do you have the fuel rail extrusion or does the machinist need to source the material? (Last time someone requested I make fuel rails, the extrusion was $10/ft.)
    - Do you have specific detailed dimensioned and toleranced drawings for everything or is the machinist also going to be spending a lot of time being the designer/engineer?

And the final consideration is liability. Sounds like nitpicking and I apologize for mentioning such a droll subject. But who is liable when the design does not work or has a glitch? What happens if the injectors leak and there's a fire? Even if you don't sue the machinist, will you hold him accountable for physical damage? If the car catches fire in your garage, will your family sue the machinist after your house burns down? These are awful questions to ask but reflect the times we live in unfortunately.

What vehicle is this going in? Sounds cool.

I do not have design drawings,set up instructions,etc. Whatever is needed in that regard should be included in the quote. Liability-- I understand. How about the "reasonable person test"? If there is adequate care taken in the work, I can't really blame the machinist, can I? If the work comes back as complete junk, with leaks galore, it would be a different case.

the car-- A 1965 Plymouth Barracuda.

Thanks,

Greg

Those early Barracudas are cool. I knew a guy with one in Tucson with the 273 and a 4 speed. He put two little four barrels on and installed 5.38 gears in the back. It felt a lot faster than it was but it was fun as hell.

The liabilty issue at its most extreme isn't up you, it's up to your survivors' litigation attorneys.

In this instance, you are asking the machinist to be the engineer/designer. That carries a heavier liability and responsibilty than if you bring a drawing and he only has to make the part to the print. How is the machinist to know the proper bore diameter and surface finish? And what tolerance is acceptable? In other words, what is the ideal dimension and how much deviation from ideal is acceptable?

I am not trying to rain on your parade at all. It sounds like a great project. However, I get approached by my car buddies all the time asking me to make things for them and I have learned it's always a lot more work than they realize. I've made header flanges, turbo flanges, intake manifold flanges, timing pointers, gauge plates, brackets, and billet fuel rails.

Since you're in southern California, you're surrounded by many of the best hot rodders in the world. Have you tried calling local speed shops and hot rod fabricators to see who they would recommend? I'm certain you can find a reputable shop who will tackle your project.

Hello Greg,

Hopping up a slant 6? Did someone dare you to do this? My first car was
    a 1968 Plymouth Satellite, but at least it had a 318! I am in the I.E. but I would
    not call it beautiful. I have some automobile knowledge, but it is dated. Last engine I built had a carburetor. I think your manifold rework might me a fixturing
    headache. I have a small shop in Riverside that has a respectable amount of equipment. I might not be interested in doing your work, but can give you an honest assessment. If you are close by maybe I can have a look at what you
    have, I have a few free hours over the next few days. PM me if interested.

This project will require more than just mechanics & machining skill. This will take some applied science as well. The injectors will need to be mounted and sealed into the neck area of the intake where there is no material for doing so nor is there the provision for getting the angle of attack so the flow will be uninterrupted and the injection will be appropriate for intake and mixing without inducing a turbulence at the valve etc. The fuel rail should be easy enough if the injectors have a uniform LAY. The biggest issue would be deciding on MAF or MAP and then making it usable input for the computer. MAF would be easiest but more visible. The MAP would be more hidden but finding the and I mean "THE" correct map sensor would be trial and error as there are several hundred sensors to select from and without the specific Flow and Vacuum characteristics of this motors components It would be UN-calculable for US and if any component was to need modify after the fact It would all change ! Then, there are all the other sensors which are needed to keep the computer from Stroking out ! That is to say It would be a major head ache and I'm sure that I would stroke out first ! I touched into this type of project some yrs back when I put a corvette tuned port Eng into a Jeep. It took 3 different schematics to be able to meld the existing system into the added electronics, Lots of needed info that is hidden and must be searched for ! This project is Do-able But ! For me I'd be very likely to smile, turn about, and walk away ! The first off parts and mods, integrations, etc. would most likely be less than cosmetically acceptable, requiring additional engineering and machining to come up with the more cosmetic appeal you require, then with the new parts You start over making it all work as it should. My advise would be to read up on the racers who have been getting the last bit of performance out of these fine motors for many years, and follow there lead staying with a well chosen carb arrangement. Just my two cents worth ! No more !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

A friend of mine is planning on making and selling a sheetmetal manifold for the Mopar slant six soon. It will also segregate the intake flange from the exhaust flanges.

Let me know if you're at all interested in waiting for something like this to go into production, and I'll nail my friend down on a time frame he thinks is realistic.

For those of you who don't know, slant six drag racing is becoming a 'thing' out here on the west coast. Several hundred slant six cars will show up to big races!

Not to hijack your quote but why aren't you using a Holley Projection system? Is direct injection worth the additional hassle? The smaller Projection systems are two-barrel and should bolt right up. They're also pretty easy to tune.
    Greg

we do alot of EFI conversions and can set you up with what you need. we are also mopar friendly. check out the website to see some of our products. we've done one slant six efi conversion already and need a few more details from you to get you going in the right direction. the usual cost for a conversion starts at $300 and can go up from there depending on what options you want.

thanks

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    we do alot of EFI conversions and can set you up with what you need. we are also mopar friendly. check out the website to see some of our products. we've done one slant six efi conversion already and need a few more details from you to get you going in the right direction. the usual cost for a conversion starts at $300 and can go up from there depending on what options you want.

thanks

Jerry
    Website? Went to your personal page and could not see a link, am I blind?
    I can't believe people are making hot rods out of 225 slant 6's! I want to see one. I must be old and out of circulation. I retired from illegal drag racing in the early 80's.

sorry i forgot the link. no pics of the cars up there, but i own and race a 73 cahllenger with a 440 and a 71 challenger convertible witha 383. my shop foreman owns a 73 charger and his son owns a 68 valiant that has a slant six.

www.sdconcepts.com