585,981 active members*
4,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hercus lathe

Hercus lathe

I have searched and found a few older posts around the Hercus lathes. I have aquired a compulathe, 1986 production model with coolant, 8 position tool changer, pneumatic chuck. Seems to be complete. Needs the little battery replaced I'm sure before I can go on. Any one ever get anywhere with theirs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc lathe 006.jpg  

I see it`s got an Anca control.Macona on the HSM forum has a Hercus that he ripped the control off and is setting up to run with mach I think.He updates the thread quite often.
    Mark.

Hi,

I was just serching for info to retrofit my Hercus V300 mill which had all it's electronics & servo's removed by the previous owner.... and I noticed your post.

It looks like you have the "Industrial" version of the lathe, I have the "Educational" version with the same options as yours, but without the coolant. When I got it 12 years ago it was non-functional, but I was able to revive it to fully functioning ! Unfortunatly over the years I think oil has seeped onto the main control board in the cabinet underneath and is now causing the servos to malfunction. Your control is in a better location at the back away from oil drips.

I was lucky though... the trade school that sold mine still had some replacement parts, manuals, and lots of advise...

The machine itself is very well built; high quality workmanship and well thought out design (nice integrated way-covers)... but the electronics broke down a lot, that it why they got rid of them.

If you happen to have any parts available let me know. I may be able to help with yours, but it has been a long time ago since I was inside the machine... but there is a company that is servicing the controls - I have not contacted them so I cannot vouch for them... http://www.ultralogic.com.au/Default.htm

I hae been in touch with Ultra Logic. They will service, but I have to send the board to Australia to have it happen. There is another company over there that is working on a retro fit for the Hercus lathe, but it is out of my budget.
    I was hoping for some one to tell me that this would be easy =8^}. I would like to know why I can't take some one's break out board, put encoders on my servos, and make it work. Now, I am very electronically challenged, but how different is that than building a home done cnc?