585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry CAM Prices?????????????

I was shopping for Cam software and I am disgusted with the hoops you have to go through to get prices.
    So to the software companies-WHAT'S THE BIG SECRET? What a crock.
    Does anyone else feel this way? If I am shopping for software I want to know costs and feature with out making several calls, leaving messages and waiting for responses. What a pain.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Many companies like to try and get you to contact them so they can try and sell that way. Personally I dont like it either. I use dolphin cad cam myself. They have a pricing page on there site, not sure what you are after tho.

Software

Well we bought a top brand software but I'm just disatisfied with the whole experience with most of the software companies.

I agree with you. A few years ago I had to weed through about 16 different software companies before realizing the high priced ones do not list pricing.

For the CAM softwares, the prices depends on your application, like whether you mostly need 3D or 2D, whether you need the software for your design as well, whether you need any customisation. These extras may cost sometimes more than the basic package.The time you spend on good software selection is well spent as a useless software can pull you down many times with costly expenditure. Just one bang is enough to through your 200K CNC to near junk status. Even after 20K spindle replacement, believe me, you will never get back the original accuracy.

http://www.titanengg.com.sg
    Titan Engineering, Singapore. Titanium Metal & Alloy suppliers.

A lot of times the problem seems to be that all of the big software companies don’t sell their products direct. Everyone has distributors who can adjust their pricing on a case-by-case basis. Even though there are usually fairly strict rules in place regarding pricing, there’s still a bit of a “grey area” with most resellers. It is definitely frustrating.

QuickBooks Users -- Shop management software with features you actually need!
    http://www.workorderexpress.com

Costs

Quote Originally Posted by cramccar View Post
    A lot of times the problem seems to be that all of the big software companies don’t sell their products direct. Everyone has distributors who can adjust their pricing on a case-by-case basis. Even though there are usually fairly strict rules in place regarding pricing, there’s still a bit of a “grey area” with most resellers. It is definitely frustrating.
    Oh, I know. You call the Software company they get back to you to call the reseller who has to have a sales person call with a quote.

I am currently shopping for 5 axis CAM software...quotes are in the range of 16 to 25 k? is that someware in the ball park for a 4 man shop? Seems like a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by rponline View Post
    I am currently shopping for 5 axis CAM software...quotes are in the range of 16 to 25 k? is that someware in the ball park for a 4 man shop? Seems like a lot of money.
    If you change the Dollar sign for a Pound sign that's about the sort of price you pay for full five axis capability here. Bear in mind though that usually you have had to buy a shed load of other CAM modules to enable the five axis to work probably.

On the policy of not giving price lists think it is because the software companies don't want each other to know how much they are charging to avoid being undercut. Which is silly because when CAM company A tells the customer the price the first thing he will do is go to the other CAM companies on his short list and say "Company A is charging X. Can you beat that?"

It's being going on for years.

Yeah I am with you on this one R.DesJardin. They need to grow up and join the real world!

Best regards
    Pete

rponline, That doesn't seem excessive for a true five axis CAM package.

Back in the mid 1980's a 4-axis APT system was $99,000 plus the always needed extra modules. I realize prices have come down due to competition and the original engineering investment has been covered.

There has also been inflation in the past 20-25 years. The number of employees will not effect pricing unless you require more than 1 seat/station.

The complexity of your workpieces and machines you intend to supply 5-axis programs to will determine system & price.

A true 5-axis simultaneous machining operation is not inexpensive!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck, Dick Z
    DZASTR

Pricing ... if it were just that simple.

5-Axis for 20-25K USD is possible, but what are your needs. Some products will be more expensive, and have more machining strategies, and a sounder mathematical basis with them.

What kind of 5-axis machine do you have? Prices easily range from $150000 to $750000 or more. What is the right amount and price of software is needed to make that lump of cast iron move ... or move well ... or move with assurance to avoid collisions with the part or crashing the machine itself.

It can be hard to separate CAM software products just by a demo, and harder to separate the software products by price. Maybe $20000 is enough for your needs. But maybe it is $50000.

There is lots of culture and philosophy involved in these decisions, as well as today's business scope ... and tomorrows.

If it could only be as simple as checking the menu for prices. As a CAM software provider, we too might wish for a more efficient sales process. But machining is a complex process, and somedays it is a simple process. So it is both the CAM sales guys and the customers purchasing process that has created the current situation.

I don't imagine that my story addresses your question as concisely as you would like.

cheap 5-axis,

Talk to us about the part type and machine type.
    I have done 1-7 axis using PCAPT (and mainframe versions from way back).
    It works dependably, this system is the "Latin of Cad/CAM"
    (Did I mention 100% parametric)
    User is in total cutter control, no mystery moves, x,y,z,i,j,k,f
    System is compatible with most human brains,
    No fancy "eye candy" GUI's, language based. (spelling, syntax)
    Learn this system and no other system will stump you.
    Exactly what are your requirements? and your background?
    There is no mystery about this once you find the correct source.
    Private message if you wish
    Been doing this too long

Gee, I thought I was the only one left! LOL I also had to deal with APT, UCCAPT. Haven't had to use it since 1985, don't remember anything anymore , senior moments and all that.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Check out Mecsofts VisualMill cam program at www.mecsoft.com , for the price I have found the program to be very good and quick to learn.
    The Pro version is about $4000 usd.

Craig_Preston Guest
    Not sure of your time frame, but we (MecSoft) plan on releasing our simultaneous 5 axis module in the fall. No pricing yet, but knowing our history, it will be below $10k ;-)