585,752 active members*
3,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Serial port Help

I have a Hyundai 8S with A Hitrol 840C control (siemens)

Anyone out there know how to initalize the serial port on one of these machines? I know that there are parameters to set, etc. however the manual doesn't tell you much of anything about how to do that sort of thing...

I have set the comm settings & when I try to send or rcv an alarm comes up telling me that the device (serial 1) is not intialized.

Any help or even pointing me in the right direction would be welcome.

Not sure if I understand what you're asking yet... are you saying you're not able to connect at all?

A quick back to basics thing to check is that you're using the right serial cable. Typically you'll need to use either a crossover DB-9 cable, with pins 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 5 to 5. If this cable is that way, try using a straight through cable with pins 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and 5 to 5.

Otherwise, you'll need to double check the parity, baud rate, stop bit, etc and make sure that's all set.

Good luck!

Matt

Is off, it would be a DB25. Null modem. pins 2-3,3-2,7-7. pin 4,5, jumpered, pin 6,8,20 jumpered.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adams View Post
    Not sure if I understand what you're asking yet... are you saying you're not able to connect at all?

A quick back to basics thing to check is that you're using the right serial cable. Typically you'll need to use either a crossover DB-9 cable, with pins 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 5 to 5. If this cable is that way, try using a straight through cable with pins 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and 5 to 5.

Otherwise, you'll need to double check the parity, baud rate, stop bit, etc and make sure that's all set.

Good luck!

Matt
    Hi Matt,
    Pretty much so,the alarm message from the machine is device (serial 1) is not initialized. Without being initialized you can't do anything, send or receive. When I put a tester on the rs232 25 pin connector of the machine all lites are red I thin some on the machine side anyway should be green, at least they are on any of my other machine I put the tester on.

Thanks
    Gene