585,722 active members*
4,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RF45 clone CNC conversion

Hi guys, I have just finished making my RF45 clone into a CNC mill.

I have turned this into my first ever website. Please have a look and tell me what you think, any comments, dead links or questions, please contact me.

My website email is [email protected]

Thankyou

Graeme

http://www.graetech.com
    Edit/Delete Message

hi
    great site , thank you , i am also curently workng on a rf 45 clone conversion

I had a "Dejavooooo" moment there....Have you posted this before?

For anyone else considering cnc of one of these Marris Freimanis has a faq section on Geckodrive which has an interesting read on the criteria used to select stepper/servo drives/motors :cheers:
    Keith

your site does not seem to work ?

great site! do you mind if i ask what you are using for hosting?

Great site. Will be using some of that info soon

I really like your site. I'm picking up a Grizzly version of this machine (G0484) today and I'm sure I'll use all your great info.

Graeme,

Your site appears to have a lot of great information on it but I am having difficulty viewing it. Specifically, the text overlaps or is covered by pictures. Is there any specific browser I should use or specific settings?

Thanks!

Hi, Kanton, yes thanks for letting me know. I have to do some more shuffling around. I tried to make some changes to improve site compatability with I.e.8 but when I did that, I have changed the layout unintentionally. I will fix things when I have a little more time. Int exp 8 is rubish and doesn't load correctly. I use moZilla firefox as a browser and it's much better in my experience.

Wheatie;
    yeah the z axis uses the factory acme thread screw, it 'works' but it's not brilliant. The Gibbs must be really tight to stop the head flopping around sideways, This loads up the nut fairly heavily. Backlash due to mechanical effects was approx 0.13mm when measured with a dial gauge. I have turned on the backlash compensation in Mach, and it is now reduced to approx 0.02mm which is lots better. If you have the cash. I would recommend that you use a ballscrew and timing belt to gear down for the z axis, without question. I was short on cash at that point in my Cnc conversion, but I have plans to upgrade this year after I do my tax return! I hope that all goes well with your conversion. Best regards, Graeme.

I think I'll just plan putting a ballscrew onto the z-axis into the conversion budget.