585,970 active members*
4,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Programming training

I'm still waiting to get the final approval for financing to buy a PCNC but it's looking positive. In the mean time, I need to get up to speed on the programming. The last time I messed around with G codes was about 15 years ago and even then it was just a little programing on a bench-top machine.

Any suggestions on study materials? I'm planning on adding a 4th axis so I need to learn about controlling that too.

peter smid's book "cnc programming handbook" has helped me out tremendously. i had zero experience with cnc before i got my tormach and now i can make just about anything.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CNC-Programming-Handbook-Peter-Smid/dp/0831131586"]Amazon.com: CNC Programming Handbook, 2nd Edition: Peter Smid: Books[/ame]

There is alot to learn so take it slow. Go to their class if anything you could get to use a machine learn some simple basics and get a break just make it like a vacation

You have to be a bit careful though. I think the book was written with Fanuc in mind so if you are unlucky you can end up trying to implement features that do not exist and visa versa.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    peter smid's book "cnc programming handbook" has helped me out tremendously. i had zero experience with cnc before i got my tormach and now i can make just about anything.

Amazon.com: CNC Programming Handbook, 2nd Edition: Peter Smid: Books

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    You have to be a bit careful though. I think the book was written with Fanuc in mind so if you are unlucky you can end up trying to implement features that do not exist and visa versa.

Phil
    while that is probably true, i haven't found any features i learned in that book that didn't work on the tormach. then again, i am still learning and most of my parts are pretty basic.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My friend Scott Mulkerin suggested that book too and I found out that there is now a 3rd edition.

Here is something I previously discovered/reported:

"The reference to metric being higher precision (page 73) appears to
    be specific to the Fanuc controller, which works on a concept of
    minimum increment, which is 0.001mm for metric and 0.00001 inches for
    imperial. Hence the higher level of precision in metric. I assume
    that is a hangover from when computing power was limited. I also
    assume that Mach doesn't work in the same way so doesn't exhibit this
    particular problem. So be careful how you interpret what you read,
    the book appears to be written with a particular controller in mind
    and it wasn't Mach3."

Phil

while that is probably true, i haven't found any features i learned in that book that didn't work on the tormach. then again, i am still learning and most of my parts are pretty basic.

I was wondering is there any training or books that include or cover Mach3 etc.. Thanks

Larry O

and it wasn't Mach3."

Phil
    That would be great.... but I cannot machine something to that kind of accuracy anyway.

Dave -

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but maybe you want to read it anyway:

I put off my Tormach purchase for about a year while I searched for decent yet cheap CAM software (I never found a package that was both at the same time). I write software for a living, but I quickly realized that I don't want to sit around with a calculator pulling my hair out over a 3-D complex toolpath and then writing and debugging the code. Instead, I would rather program the part with CAM software, simulate it, and then pull my hair out over broken tooling.

In short, the toolpaths that SprutCAM creates are a lot more efficient than the "wizards" provided with the machine, and even they are better than hand-coding if you are in a hurry to cut metal. I'm not knocking hand-coding, but your parts will remain relatively simple until you use CAD/CAM to create complex toolpaths.

After a very many hours of running demos and talking to lots of sales/technical people on the phone, I decided to go with SprutCAM (mainly because of the cost, but I do like the user interface). I had to justify the cost to myself by rationalizing that the CAM program is just another part of the machine, just like the stand, the computer that runs it, or the tooling that I break on it. Buying the machine without a CAD/CAM package is like buying a Corvette, then not buying gas for it because you can drill an oil well in your backyard and refine your own fuel in the kitchen. Go ahead and buy the gas and just use your programming skills to refine your own additives for it.

If cost is really an issue, leave the 4th axis off for now and buy a CAD/CAM package that you can use (I use TurboCAD to draw the parts; it is not integrated with SprutCAM, but that really doesn't matter). You can still hand-program if you want to, but I'm guessing you'll quickly choose to cut metal instead. When you save up your lunch money you can add the 4th axis and complete your machine.

By the way, I would buy SprutCAM again if I were making the choice today.

Regards,

- Just Gary

I think yuou missed the point.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    That would be great.... but I cannot machine something to that kind of accuracy anyway.

and it wasn't Mach3."

Phil

regardless, i wouldn't be able to make my machine move if it weren't for that book, much less make parts. i had not even seen a cnc machine in person before my tormach was delivered. that book is what has taught me all the programming i have used so far. i certainly haven't had a problem with mach3 because of something i learned in the book.

if there is a better book out there to learn/refresh on cnc programming, please let me know. i could use more learning.

Quote Originally Posted by justgary View Post
    Dave -

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but maybe you want to read it anyway:

I put off my Tormach purchase for about a year while I searched for decent yet cheap CAM software (I never found a package that was both at the same time). I write software for a living, but I quickly realized that I don't want to sit around with a calculator pulling my hair out over a 3-D complex toolpath and then writing and debugging the code. Instead, I would rather program the part with CAM software, simulate it, and then pull my hair out over broken tooling.

In short, the toolpaths that SprutCAM creates are a lot more efficient than the "wizards" provided with the machine, and even they are better than hand-coding if you are in a hurry to cut metal. I'm not knocking hand-coding, but your parts will remain relatively simple until you use CAD/CAM to create complex toolpaths.

After a very many hours of running demos and talking to lots of sales/technical people on the phone, I decided to go with SprutCAM (mainly because of the cost, but I do like the user interface). I had to justify the cost to myself by rationalizing that the CAM program is just another part of the machine, just like the stand, the computer that runs it, or the tooling that I break on it. Buying the machine without a CAD/CAM package is like buying a Corvette, then not buying gas for it because you can drill an oil well in your backyard and refine your own fuel in the kitchen. Go ahead and buy the gas and just use your programming skills to refine your own additives for it.

If cost is really an issue, leave the 4th axis off for now and buy a CAD/CAM package that you can use (I use TurboCAD to draw the parts; it is not integrated with SprutCAM, but that really doesn't matter). You can still hand-program if you want to, but I'm guessing you'll quickly choose to cut metal instead. When you save up your lunch money you can add the 4th axis and complete your machine.

By the way, I would buy SprutCAM again if I were making the choice today.

Regards,

- Just Gary
    I second this--If you are going to own a cnc you really need to have a good cad/cam package otherwise why bother with cnc? I use many cad/cam programs but for the tormach I use bobcad v23 pro it is perfect for this machine and there are many others that are good.

That sounds like good advice. I've looked at some of the CAD and CAM software and the only thing that I've learned is that it's going to take some time to figure out which ones I want to buy.

In my case I can put the mill to work right away machining pistols for sights, checkering and other functions that aren't really complicated, just labor intensive when done by hand on a vertical mill.

I'm not knocking the book just warning to be careful, especially for those of us that know little and may be led off at a tangent.

I have just order a copy of the book, been meaning to do it for some time now.

Phil

PS: I believe that not all G-code implementations are the same.

regardless, i wouldn't be able to make my machine move if it weren't for that book, much less make parts. i had not even seen a cnc machine in person before my tormach was delivered. that book is what has taught me all the programming i have used so far. i certainly haven't had a problem with mach3 because of something i learned in the book.

if there is a better book out there to learn/refresh on cnc programming, please let me know. i could use more learning.