585,715 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > redefine machine home on VF2?

redefine machine home on VF2?

I just mounted my rotary table (hrt210) on my VF2. Man, that thing is huge!

So, the standard machine home will crash tools in the changer with the table when I start the machine up (power up).

Is there a way to have the machine home be the extreme left side of the table so that I can keep from smashing my tools into the rotary?

Joe

Where do you have it mounted? I have a couple of VF2s with HRT210s on them and do not have any problems with tools crashing.

the home position is defined by a proximity sensor and it is not really practical to change it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Where do you have it mounted? I have a couple of VF2s with HRT210s on them and do not have any problems with tools crashing.

the home position is defined by a proximity sensor and it is not really practical to change it.
    Right side of the table, facing left. I have a chick subplate and a mount block to adapt the table so I lose about 2" in Z. Long tools become very unhappy...

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
    ..... Long tools become very unhappy...

Joe
    You mean a long tool in the spindle when the X axis homes?

Can you move the rotary further to the right? We have ours mounted on subplates that hang over the end of the table, they are also only 1" thick.

My procedure for shutting down my mill is to go to T24 (which is almost allways kept empty), shut the machine down and wipe the spindle taper with oil.

There's a setting or parameter (can't remember, and I'm not in the shop) that you can specify which T number you want the machine to change to during startup. Mine is set to 24. If that number matches the tool in the spindle prior to start up, no tool change is made.

EDIT: I misread the first post...I'm talking about a SMTC and it sounds like you've got one of them slow tool changers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    My procedure for shutting down my mill is to go to T24 (which is almost allways kept empty), shut the machine down and wipe the spindle taper with oil.

There's a setting or parameter (can't remember, and I'm not in the shop) that you can specify which T number you want the machine to change to during startup. Mine is set to 24. If that number matches the tool in the spindle prior to start up, no tool change is made.

EDIT: I misread the first post...I'm talking about a SMTC and it sounds like you've got one of them slow tool changers.
    After sleeping on it, I think this is what I'll have to do -- make sure that I shut the mill down with the startup tool mounted. Making a part will never be changing tools where there is likely to be a crash, it's mainly the power up cycle that is the problem.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
    ....it's mainly the power up cycle that is the problem.

Joe
    You can (I think) disable Auto Restart but I don't know the Parameter.

Then you have to zero the axes one at a time using Zero Return Single Axis and after zeroing X, Y, and Z (I think) you can jog X away before zeroing the toolchanger by usimg Tool Forward or Tool Reverse.

Joe,
    do you have a side mount tool changer or the umbrella type? just curious as I have the vf2ss with a side mount tool changer and havent put my ht210 on it yet. was going to possibly play with it tomorrow or sat.

does anyone have a picture on how close it goes? , I like geofs Idea off the subplate and offsetting the 4th axis a tad. the only tool that scares me is the probe, I dont want to buy another one LOL, this 4th axis will run with stub holders and stub 1/2" and 3/4" endmills, I only need 1/4 cutting length the only thing I havent looked into shortening up yet is the 6/32 rigid tapping holder and the drill bit, they will be longer than the endmills by 2 inchs, as I havent played with the tap and drill holder sizes yet.

Delw