585,712 active members*
3,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Next Tool button

Dose anyone know how to disable the "next tool" button on a hass lathe. I accidentally hit it and crashed.

I cut out a pice of sheet metal and bent it like a U shape and put it over the button

Welcome to the club.

Was your chuck spinning or did you just crash the tool against the part?

I do not know of any Parameter that can disable Next Tool and it lurks there waiting for a repeat performance on my part; fortunately I have been able to avoid it for several years.

I have 'disabled' some keys on my machines by making little covers that go over them; these are fastened to the screws that hold the control panel on.

Many times I have thought about making a full keyguard out of polycarbonate covering the entire keypad with holes at each key location. With this you would not be able to hits keys accidentally so easily and it would be possible to have plugs to blank off any key.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I just broke a 10-32 tap off on the measuring arm. Good thing it wasn't a boring bar, it might have ripped the arm off.

On the lathes I think there should be a Setting or Parameter called 'Next Tool Z Retract' so that you could put a value in there to have the Z axis pull back before rotating the turret when you press Next Tool.

Haas-Apps where are you? Hint. Hint.

Geof,
    I will discuss it with software today. 'Can't make any promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    On the lathes I think there should be a Setting or Parameter called 'Next Tool Z Retract' so that you could put a value in there to have the Z axis pull back before rotating the turret when you press Next Tool.

Haas-Apps where are you? Hint. Hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Geof,
    I will discuss it with software today. 'Can't make any promises.
    Gee you are fast.

While you are at it you should have a disable on the tool release on the panel. So far the ding on my table winking at me every time I use the machine has prevented me from pushing it again...
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR View Post
    While you are at it you should have a disable on the tool release on the panel. So far the ding on my table winking at me every time I use the machine has prevented me from pushing it again...
    It's a hijack, but is somebody going to tell him?
    (Pssst...there is a setting to turn that button off. It was the first thing the tech disabled on my mill during installation).
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    ...(Pssst...there is a setting to turn that button off...
    Setting!, D**n, I looked in the Parameters but overlooked Settings so I missed being first.

Setting 76.

setting 76 on the lathe is for foot pedal lockout.

I fixed it anyway. I took an old junk button from a different machine and pulled the hard plastic part off. A dab of super glue on the corner of it, and it fits perfect. It only sticks out 3/16".

Quote Originally Posted by Lathe Dog View Post
    setting 76 on the lathe is for foot pedal lockout....
    Sorry, we are guilty of a hijack; the Setting 76 comments were aimed at DSL PWR who was referring to a mill.

Sorry about the hijack, its just talk about the buttons in that row struck a nerve! Thanks for enlightening me Donkey, and Geof.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Maybe a setting that you can enter 1 or 2 for how many times to hit next tool button in order for it to activate .. ???