585,949 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool height gauge

Is anyone using a method similar to this to set their tool heights?
    http://www.ihcnc.com/pages/height-part1.php

It seems like it would be accurate, consistent and simple.

No not yet, that is an absolute top idea.

I have a pile of indicators in my indicator fix-it box that will do the job perfectly.

Cheers M
    No, Little-Johnny, pomegranate is not a type of English stone.

I use a Starrett dial indicator mounted in a TTS holder as tool #1 to set my tool height(s). see: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ettToolNo1.jpg The height of the Starrett dial indicator is measured on the granite flat using the TTS Measurement Fixture P/N30140 while the indicator reads 0.05”. This height is entered into the tool table as tool height #1. All other tools are measured on the flat using the same TTS Measurement Fixture and each tool height is entered in the tool table. To use the tool #1 indicator to set the tool height: put the tool #1 indicator in the Tormach spindle and bring the indicator foot down to the reference surface with the indicator measuring 0.05”. Set the tool to #1 in Mach3 and zero the Z-axis. All tools heights in the tool table are now refereced to the datum surface measured with indicator tool #1.

The advantage of using the #1 indicator tool system as opposed to the indicator on the table height system (as shown in ihcnc site) is that the #1 indicator tool system can measure height of non-flat datum surfaces such as a roll pin or tooling ball on an angled fixture. I frequently need to measure the datum of an angle fixture using the highest point of a ½” roll pin. The tool #1 indicator works extremely well for this application as it does in measuring the datum of any other flat surface. AGD indicators have a 4-48 threaded spindle so that a wide flat “elephant foot” can be used for setting off of the tangent surface of a roll pin or tooling ball or just a flat surface. There is no need for a "soft" foot epoxied on as the "hardened" foot screwed into the 4-48 threads of the AGD gage does not contact the fragile surfaces of any cutting tools. And the setting the indicator tool #1 for a datum height sets the datum for all tools in the tool table. Only needs to be done once for each datum height.

Don

Hi Don - I like your idea!

Its horses for courses really. If you put the indicator on the table you don't need a separate off machine measuring set-up because you effectively measure each tool against the gauge. The down side, well, you have to use your machine to do the measuring which can be expensive if it is making money when it is milling.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Hi Don - I like your idea!

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Its horses for courses really. If you put the indicator on the table you don't need a separate off machine measuring set-up because you effectively measure each tool against the gauge. The down side, well, you have to use your machine to do the measuring which can be expensive if it is making money when it is milling.

Phil
    Phil what are you talking about? With my setup all you have to do is put indicator tool #1 in the spindle once each time you change fixtures. Only once for an entire machining run for each fixture or vise setup. You only have to measure all tool heights once and enter them into the tool table. This is all assuming you are using TTS holders for repeatative height. How much time does it take to use the machine with the indicator tool #1 once for each machining run or fixture change? A horse is a horse of course unless its Mr. Ed or a horse of a different color as in the Dark side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz then its all Pink.

Don

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way. "

~Pink Floyd -Dark side of the Moon -Time

Read it again Don. My reference is to the "other" method not yours. I thought the give away was "indicator on the table" as opposed to "in the spindle".

I think you will see that what I have said is correct.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Phil what are you talking about? With my setup all you have to do is put indicator tool #1 in the spindle once each time you change fixtures. Only once for an entire machining run for each fixture or vise setup. You only have to measure all tool heights once and enter them into the tool table. This is all assuming you are using TTS holders for repeatative height. How much time does it take to use the machine with the indicator tool #1 once for each machining run or fixture change? A horse is a horse of course unless its Mr. Ed or a horse of a different color as in the Dark side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz then its all Pink.

Don

Phil,

You are right. Sorry I misread your post. But it is amazing that Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon album appears to synchronize perfectly with the 1939 movie the Wizard of Oz. BTW Pink Floyd lives again at least in Southern California thru Which one’s Pink. I have seen Which one’s Pink at the House of Blues on Sunset in LA. They are great. http://www.whichonespink.com/
    Also a couple of years back saw an underground group from up your way (Norway) Serena-Maneesh at Club Spaceland in LA http://www.serena-maneesh.com/news.php

Don

I'm also a big Pink Floyd fan. I would give an arm and a leg to have been at their 1994 concert at Earls Court.

Phil

I have seen Which one’s Pink at the House of Blues on Sunset in LA. They are great.
    Don

Phil,

But it is amazing that Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon album appears to synchronize perfectly with the 1939 movie the Wizard of Oz.

Don
    Just wait until the last roar of the MGM lion and press play
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon