585,902 active members*
4,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cone Cutting in 15 mm mdf

Hi my problem is how to cut a cone shape hole in a 15/18/12 mm thick mdf
    sheet?

detail-
    the top must be around 2 inc in diameter and bottom around 0.5 inc the smaler one in diamitter.

pls if possible tell me which bit and how to cut and the process it would be very geat full too me.

thanx.

Seems like cutting a cone would be done more easily on a lathe. If you don't have a lathe, you could "make" one. Mount your piece to a power drill and mount that to your table. Start it turning. Now run your router down the piece while going a little deeper at each step.

I guess, depending on the material, you could also mount the piece in your router spindle, and move it against a stationary cutter mounted on the table.

As for doing it on the router table with no other tools... Hmmm... If the accuracy of your table is high enough, you could start with a 0-radius circle at a dept of 0, a 1-radius circle at a dept of one unit, a bigger circle at a deeper depth, etc... Until you reach the bottom.

You could also use a V-shaped router bit and do the same ideal. You wouldn't have to make as many different layers if the cone's angles were the same as the v-cutter's angle.

Finally (this one came to me last but I like it best), mount your workpiece on a rotating spindle and mount that at an angle to the router's table. Get it turning and move your router's spindle back and forth until you have a cone. With this one, you only have to work about one dimension after you get the piece mounted at the angle you want for the cone.

Then again, what do I know. I'm just a math teacher.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com

I have a nice set of sheetmetal cone cutters in my workshop. Sounds ideal for what your after. This is the sort of thing Im on about....

Google Image Result for http://royleautoservices.co.uk/shop/images/CC1A.jpg

Use a tapered cutter and cut a circle. The amount of taper in the cutter will determine the angle of the cone.