585,705 active members*
4,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > older haas 200 program limit

older haas 200 program limit

this is an older vf 5 with the crt screen on it.i finally got to use this at my new job the other day and was glad to finally be on a machine i know.i got all of my tooling ready and at the end of the day looked at the program list.cool!!! there were only 2 programs ,o0001 and "all". ive sent programs out by using "all" before but never used it for anything else.i was a bit concerned because i did not see the reserved programs for quick code.i figured they must save out all of their progs when they are done and only keep the running program in memory.the memory was showing 98 percent free.in the morning i was going to start writing a manual quickcode program and the guy who normally runs it was there and said "oh sometimes it does that" he went to all ,selected it and 200 programs showed up on the screen
    now i was forced to find a program that was just a bs program and overwite it because when i tried to put in a new prog # it said memory was exceeded.i seem to remember that the older machines had a 200 prog limit.even with the 200 progs showing the mem still says 98 % free.
    he says some mornings it shows just the 2 progs and other times it shows just the 2.
    im really confused.there is no cable to this machine and the only way to tranfer is with a floppy.
    i dont think its my job to pull progs out to make room for new ones.
    am i going nuts or is this mach acting this way because it has reached its 200 program limit even though there is still memory available?

figure this out yet?
    i have a old vf4 that only holds 200 programs that are all used up with only 89% memory used i was wondering if there was a parameter could change to give me more program space at smaller sizes

Quote Originally Posted by machiningNOOB View Post
    figure this out yet?
    i have a old vf4 that only holds 200 programs that are all used up with only 89% memory used i was wondering if there was a parameter could change to give me more program space at smaller sizes
    The key is not to store your programs on the machine. Put the ones you don't use that often on your computer and send to the machine as you need them.

Cheers---Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I do not know why anyone would want to "store" programs in their machine. What happens if you have a power spike? What happens if the battery goes dead while the machine is powered off?

Sure, keep programs you use most often in the machine. Delete what is not needed often to keep memory space. Have at least two back ups outside the machine, including programs currently used.

You can probably back-up all of those programs onto a single floppy drive. You can also have the floppy drive replaced by an aftermarket USB drive.

Laser Motion Inc USB stick
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Thats a sweet link for the USB storage!!!

Have you used them yet are they hard to set up?
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    Thats a sweet link for the USB storage!!!

Have you used them yet are they hard to set up?
    I purchased two to try here at the factory and I got mixed results. I put it into a machine and it worked flawlessly. I handed one off to a service tech and the 1st machine he put it into did not work. I have planned to test it more but haven't found the time. The setup is super easy though (almost plug and play).
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I do not know why anyone would want to "store" programs in their machine. What happens if you have a power spike? What happens if the battery goes dead while the machine is powered off?

Sure, keep programs you use most often in the machine. Delete what is not needed often to keep memory space. Have at least two back ups outside the machine, including programs currently used.
    I totally agree! I always kept my programs on a computer and backed that up too. Had a lightning strike in about 1997 that wiped out the machines programs and parameters. That's why you don't store the programs on the machine.

Besides, depending on the memory in your machine, it really slows down some functions, like editing on the machine. I keep about 10 basic programs on the machine and send only what I need as I need it.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

This goes for machine parameters too!

Back up!

Back up!

Back up!

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    This goes for machine parameters too!

Back up!

Back up!

Back up!
    +1

Parameters, Settings, Offsets, Macro Variables, Programs should all be backed up once or twice a year IMO.

Don't forget to unlock the 9000 series programs also, setting 23, especially for those using the Renishaw system.

Frequent program backups might save you if you ever get a corrupted program file on the machine because the only way to clear the corrupted program is to perform an ERASE ALL.

Note:

Some of the faster new USB drives are TOO FAST for some older HAAS mill
    models - in case you try a USB interface...
    Ourmini mills worked fine, but only with older slower USB drives.

Gary

I had the tech back up my parameters last time he came out....what is the protocol for that? Ie how?
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"