585,597 active members*
3,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KCam and Macros

Hello and thanks in advance,
    I have tried in vain to get the macro function to work in 4.011 according to kelly's example.
    I have tried G91 too without success.
    Can anyone help me figure out how to get the macros working.
    I am trying to create text for engraving and have found the coreldraw to curve thing with the import to KCam compiling take hours and is way too complicated for me. Also, I have tried deskengrave but found it too difficult to get a paragraph of text manageable.
    Thank you,
    -Mark

do your text in corel draw. (get your fonts,size, position, envelope distortion, and graphics finished. turn your rulers on.it is easier to move things in corel than kcam. look at WHERE your text is in relation to 0,0 before you export the file. select all, and convert to curves.
    you need corel draw 8 or earlier for this.
    EXPORT as HPGL (.PLT file). look at the advanced options ---- SIMULATED FILL, requires a proper pen size and line(cut) spacing. NONE gives an outline, crosshatch cuts out black areas with a cross hatch pattern, parallel lines...... i have seen an hpgl plug in for illustrator, but never tried it. kcam has some very nice features for a $95 program. the preview and gcode editors as well as gcode scale and offset tools come in handy a lot.
    there are programs other than corel draw, that can put out hpgl.

Try saving the Coreldraw file as a DXF file once you have everything correctly laid out. This automatically converts to curves and Kcam reads and converts the DXF file to code a lot quicker than other formats. For macros, it is easier to convert the file to incremental files and then use the example in kcam