584,833 active members*
5,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Plasma Profile cutting Machine

hi

i plan to buy a CNC plama profile cutting machine. I have taken quotes from different suppliers. Most of them are giving me the hypertherm plasma source. I am not able to make a decision between the powermax 1650 , HSD130 and HPR130. i understand there is a major diff between the 1650 and the other two but i am not able to understand the difference between the HSD130 and the HPR130.

My work is of sheet metal cutting for transformer tanks. Quality is not a major criteria but production cost and production time is. I plan to cut sheets of about 3000x6300 at a time. The tolerances can be till 0.5mm . I am not able to find out which one would be most economical for me and what is the diff in price of these models.

Please help me if anyone can provide the information on this.

metlczar,

Here's the scoop on the 3 Hypertherm systems you mention....the Powermax1650, the HSD130 and the HPR130.

There are 3 distinct classes of plasma systems in Hypertherms product line:

1. Entry level air plasma systems. These systems are relatively low cost...primarily focused on hand held torch cutting although most models are offered with machine torches and interfaces to connect to cnc cutting machines. These systems have air cooled torches....can be expected to produce parts with tolerances typically in the plus or minus .030" range. Design duty cycles are typically from 35% to 70% depending on application. They are a good choice for mechanized cutting applications that require low capital equipment cost...medium production and tolerance levels...but do not require high duty cycles and when production costs (cost per foot of cut) are not important

Hypertherm systems included in this air plasma classification are: Powermax190c, Powermax30, Powermax45, Powermax1000, Powermax1250 and Powermax1650, 12, 30, 45, 60, 80 and 100 Amps respectively. We also have a Max200 which is a 200 Amp liquid cooled torch that is available with a hand torch or a machine torch....and can use a variety of different gases for fine tuning the cutting process.

2. Mechanized conventional plasma systems. These systems are designed for mechanized applications only....hand cutting torches are not available. These systems are designed for high production cutting at medium tolerance levels at 100% duty cycle. Mounted on good quality cutting machines these systems can hold tolerances in the plus or minus .020" range....and have the ability to use oxygen as the plasma gas for better edge metalurgy (softer, more weldable, less dross formation)....and provide the Hypertherm Long-Life consumable technology that dramatically improves operating cost through extremely long consumable life. The systems included in this category are the HSD130, HT2000, HT4400 and HT4001.....with 130, 200, 400 and 400 amp water injection cutting process capability. Capital equipment costs are in the medium range with these systems.

3. Mechanized Hyperformance plasma systems. Hyperformance is Hypertherms trade name for our high definition class plasma systems, usable only for mechanized cutting. These systems utilize a special vented nozzle design along with a floating cooling tube and our Long Life consumable technology to provide higher energy density at the arc....which means a narrower kerf, high cutting speeds, the ability to mark and cut with the same consumables, and extremely tight tolerances and edge squareness for plasma. Due to the fact that there is minimal need for any secondary operations after cutting with these systems...combined with by far...the longest consumable life in the business...make these Hyperformance systems have the lowest operating cost with the highest productivity. Capital equipments costs are high with these systems....but when used in high productive environments can provide a quick return on investment due to excellent cut quality and low operating cost. Typical cut part accuracies are in the .010 to .015" range. Hypertherm systems in this class are the HPR130, HPR260 and HPR400xd.....with 130, 260 and 400 amps.

If you truly need to hold tolerances in the .5mm range on a production basis...then you should probably consider the HPR130.....as it will provide the best possible cut quality on sheet steel....while providing a metalurgically pure edge and high production levels.

The 1650 plasma system sels in the $5,500 range, the HSD130 is in the $25,000 range and the HSD130 is in the $35,000 range....these are US dolars....and will vary depending on how the systems are equipped.

You did not mention your needs as far as maximum and minimum thickness requirements, types of metals being cut....or requirements concerning produstion rates and speeds. Also....better plasma systems require better cutting machines and height control systems in order to achieve their full potential......you do not want to put a $34,000 Hyperformance plasma on a low cost, entry level cnc machine...it would not make sense!

i'd be happy to work with you more on this application and talk to you about your choice of a machine that the plasma would be mounted on.

Best regards,

Jim Colt Hypertherm

hey jim
    thanks a lot for the information provided by you.
    My work is on mild steel. Most of the sheets that ill have 2 cut will be 5-6mm and max 16mm for good quality work. Currently I am using shearing machine and press to cut the sheets and the holes in the sheet. I plan to cut about 5 tonne material per day on the cnc plasma. So i need to justify the cost of shifting to cnc plasma and accordingly select the plasma source. Also i need to estimate the time that ill save by using the selected plasma source.

The cnc options that I have are:-

1. Messer Multitherm Eco 3000x6300(working track dimensions)

2. Kunshan Pushan make cnc with hyperthem edge II controller
    2.1. Nesting software is FASTCAM
    2.2. PHC height control system

Both use hypertherm plasma source.

Also is the hyspeed HT2000 cheaper than the HSD130?

Regards
    metalczar