585,987 active members*
4,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ok you guys win

Had a crash today, on the captain, not hard, nothing broken, not a rapid move.

Out .02 in 7 inches on inclination, out about .0115 on rotation.

I just thought I would post and cecede my argument about rigidity.:cheers:

While cutting it is fine but one little bump and WOW.

Robert

i wouldnt worry bout that my captain will move that much by just breakin an insert. this machine is a big dissappointment. my 7hp e-series has more power on the main spindle than my 30hp captain. i told the sales man that when he came in the other day and he just changed the subject. then he said what machine was on my wish list and i said another mazak.

i also have a shunk air chuck that doesnt hold on to anything with out a stopper plate.

o ya make sure the bolts holding the turret stay tight i have to tighten mine down about once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    ...While cutting it is fine but one little bump and WOW.

Robert
    What is your definition of 'little bump'?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

You guys are talking about Okuma lathes, right? I own mills. I thought the Captain was the full original Okuma and the E series was from Czech or Estonia or somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Well it all depends on what a little bump is?

I guess the same can be said for my Moutain bike, I was just riding along the road the other day and then bugger me the thing go's and breaks in half.

Does the fact I was jumping it off my mates garage roof last week count?

Talking

"Little bump" is how you describe it to your employer

But really, nothing broken one of the tool holders hit the chuck in a thread move, so feeding fast but really just a bump. No alarms, just a quick reset.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    ..... one of the tool holders hit the chuck in a thread move, so feeding fast but really just a bump. No alarms, just a quick reset.
    Did you see my thread showing the results of a little bump? I had the toolholder hit the chuck in a threading move also.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Did you see my thread showing the results of a little bump? I had the toolholder hit the chuck in a threading move also.
    Yeah I did. Mine only fed into the chuck about 100 thousandths, so just a little bump dammit

i crashed our captain very hard once , simply snap a VDI holder. fast feed and u-drill in the chuck don't mix well the stupid autodoor is a PITA, you can't see anything in the machine when you setup a job and the configuration of the machine is really tight

i tried to machine some inconel625, the material was so hard to cut that it misalign the turret WITHOUT any crash or broken insert, just facing .1 with a CNMG

i finish the job on a 19 year old LNC-8 cadet without any glitch.....

the L370mw is very very very fragile , but they are also very precise , turn the power on , cycle start , and the first part is less than .0003 off and the p200 controller with 32GB memory and 17in touch screen is very friendly , you don't even need DNC transfer or any data transfer program , a simple USB key is all that you need

i gives this machine a 3/10 not better

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    i crashed our captain very hard once , simply snap a VDI holder. fast feed and u-drill in the chuck don't mix well

i gives this machine a 3/10 not better
    The machine gives you 0/10 as a programmer for this one

Quote Originally Posted by budgieW View Post
    The machine gives you 0/10 as a programmer for this one
    haha i am a milling guy since 12 years, i got to learn this brand new machine by myself without any training or lathe experience, the lathe setup man/programmer leave the shop 4 days before the machine arrived

i simply hate the rapid/feed control on the same button......