585,752 active members*
3,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My tweaked screenset

John Prentice did a great job of designing a simple and clear screenset for the Tormach. User interface preference is mostly a personal thing, and here is how my current "Simple Run" screen looks after I tweaked it.

I used "Screen4" utility to tweak the screen, initially just enlarging the "axis active" LED's adjacent to the DRO's due to a number of jogging incidents--my Tormach shuttle, at least, doesn't reliably select the new axis when I poke the button, and several times I jogged the wrong axis thinking it was active. I can see the enlarged LED's even out of the corner of my eye.

I also wanted to put the loaded file display up with the file handling buttons. Since this control displays across all the screens, I had to tweak the rest of the screens to accomodate the new position.

I put the MDI line up above the toolpath window because I wear bifocals and it is easier to see there. It is also grouped with the gcode window (though that wasn't really the point of moving it).

I grouped the Feed controls with the Speed controls since they are both parameters that actively affect a run, and dumped most of the Jog controls since I use a jog shuttle.

For consistency I put the LED's associated with the Cycle Start and Coolant above their respective buttons to match the Spindle arrangement, and did minor tweaking to button and LED sizes.

I did add two things--the fixture offset and elapsed time displays.

As I said, a personal thing but I'm happy with the arrangement. I've never used G68 so that might disappear from this screen, and "Jog ON/OFF" doesn't seem to affect the shuttle so that might go also.

If I ever implement a fourth axis I can see some tweaking to do on the Comprehensive Run screen...

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PCNC1100M3RG-G.jpg  

I would like to see the A axis displayed on the simple screen so that when entering code in the MDI I could see the results or just see the A axis active led when using the shuttle jog controller.

Like this, Don? Now I don't need to tweak the Comprehensive Run screen after I get a fourth axis.

The screenset is copyrighted by Tormach, so I'd need to ask them about the legality of posting a tweaked set. As with the elapsed time and fixture offset displays, I just cut-and-pasted the 4th axis controls from the Comprehensive Run screen to the Simple Run. I then adjusted sizes and spacings of the axis DRO's to be even and proportional.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PCNC1100M3RG-G4axis.jpg  

Randy, Thats perfect.

Don

Screens

Randy,
    That is really a great improvement, simple but effective.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th