585,719 active members*
4,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need cheap source for acme lead screw parts

Need cheap source for acme lead screw parts

I am looking at using some acme lead screws to replace the all thread on the machine that I am currently building. While the threaded rod is cheap enough, the end bearings are not (I see them for up around $200 each).

Does anyone know of a source for these ends at a cheaper price? I want something new and not Ebay - as this needs to be a fixed repeatable price.

Better yet, does someone know of where I can buy a ready to install unit with the end bearings, ball nut and rod ready to install? Looking for a 48", a 36" and a 10 - 12" unit.

Thanks all
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Does anyone know of a source for these ends at a cheaper price? I want something new and not Ebay - as this needs to be a fixed repeatable price.

Better yet, does someone know of where I can buy a ready to install unit with the end bearings, ball nut and rod ready to install? Looking for a 48", a 36" and a 10 - 12" unit.

Thanks all

I doubt you'll find them any cheaper. I think the reason they are so expensive is that they use expensive angular contact bearings. If you need a lot of them, you might be able to have some made using cheaper bearings, maybe even rollerblade bearings. Post in the reques for quote forum and see what kind of price you can get them for.

I believe you can purchase complete assemblies from McMaster-Carr. Bring your wallet.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hack,

It wasn't completely clear to me just what you wanted, but a good source of acme thread screws and nuts is Green Bay Mfg. Co., 920-793-2411, FAX 920-793-4848. They range from .375 -12 to 2.0" -4.

Hope this helps,
    Jack C.

A while back I spoke to a garage door/ opener installer about acme lead screws used in door openers. They either come in 3 foot 6 inch or the full 7 foot sections. They throw the old openers in the trash. Food for thought.

Suitable Replacement / Substitution?

Is it possible to use a flanged bearing such as a "Flanged Mount Ball Bearings" from McMaster Carr as a suitable substitution? ( Ex. Part #5967K52 )
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

I just found this site.. pretty decent prices seems like www.wttool.com whats nice is they have a local store