585,754 active members*
3,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > dust collection for carbon fiber

dust collection for carbon fiber

I am setting up a new (small) shop and will be working with carbon fiber. I need advice on what type of dust collection system to use and suggestions on manufacturers. I am concerned about the health hazards and conductivity concerns so I want to purchase something that will filter appropriately and will not short out from the dust. Also what type of fume exhaust should I use working with composites to mitigate health hazards? Thanks.

dilly -
    First - Welcome aboard! This is probably the most friendly and helpful forum on the web!
    Second - Some of the members here have CF experience - so you may be at just the right place! (If not check out werksberg - a lot of CF experience there -- google it)
    Third --to your question -- If you can --flood the CF when cutting/milling. The slurry can be captured - but still a MESS. I have done some cutting, trimming, and basic machining of CF parts - and find the water flood works to keep the dust down. I may "hire-out" some water jet operations - when we get beyond prototyping and into manufacturing. Again another good approach to machinging CF.
    Sorry, I have no links to offer on HEPA filteration/cyclone dust collection systems -- I believe they still keep the offensive dusts as an airborne particulate -- and not a satisfactory approach. You get one set of lungs -- keep 'em (I just -30 minutes ago- did an annual respirtory CT as a monitor -- consider getting a baseline before beginning CF work and an annual thereafter)
    MASKS - Body suits -- and consider blown air filtered hoods.
    Again best of lucK,
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Jim,

Thank you for the welcome and your suggestions. I will check into Wersberg. I am a complete novice so please pardon my ignorance and I am working on a shoestring budget. How do you flood your processes? Are there ways to do this inexpensively?

Are epoxy fumes best ventilated with a downdraft or a fume hood?

sincerely,
    Cindy

Cindy - aka dilly
    No Worries.
    I understand "shoestring." My machining of CF tends to be drilling, cutting, and trim work - pieces after demolding and and fitting. I just use a hose. I try and capture the mess in a tub and then let it settle out. Then scoop the slurry after some evaporation time - bag it and and take to the tip.
    For cutting _ I picked up a wet - tile cutting saw at Harbor Freight-- cheap and it works great and the hose fits right on. Smallish but takes the 4 inch diameter diamond cutting blades for an angle grinder. Drilling - is another hose job, but on the drill press - but lots of WD-40 after to keep it from rusting out.
    My cnc spoilboard is timber - so I don't flood it - but do use it to make my moulds for the projects - then do the layup.
    For epxoy - I use a big fan and side vent - again shoestring. It is not as obnoxious (smell) as Polyester - but you can develop an alergy -- so dress and mask appropriately.
    As always, members love to see pictures of projects -- so keep that in mind.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

One thing to consider is building a plastic 'tent' around the machine and put a blower with HEPA filtration on it to create a slight negative pressure in the tent. Last time I had to work in that kind of environment was with Tyvek suits and PAPRs...yuck.

[quote=fizzissist;633863]One thing to consider is building a plastic 'tent' around the machine and put a blower with HEPA filtration on it to create a slight negative pressure in the tent. Last time I had to work in that kind of environment was with Tyvek suits and PAPRs...yuck.[/quot

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Jim,

Thank you for the welcome and your suggestions. I will check into Wersberg. I am a complete novice so please pardon my ignorance and I am working on a shoestring budget. How do you flood your processes? Are there ways to do this inexpensively?

Are epoxy fumes best ventilated with a downdraft or a fume hood?

sincerely,
    Cindy
    Thanks all for contributing to this thread. Lots to read in this forum but I like it.

I followed Jim's advice and purchased a wet-cut tile saw. It is perfect for the work I am doing. Have a good new year.