584,817 active members*
4,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool speed data/table

Hello, I am brand new to this forum, I have tried searching for the information that I need, but the problem is I am not exactly sure what I should be searching for.

I have a converted "Majic mill" running "Deskcnc" software and controller, I am trying to engrave some stainless steel with a 1mm 3flute carbide end mill to a depth of 0.5mm

My problem is that I am struggling to find the correct information on cutting speeds (speed the cutter should rotate at) and feed rates and depths per cut.

I have found some information and caculators but am confused by the terminology (OK I am stupid then!).

Does anyone have any simple charts in pdf/jpg etc format that I can look at and say "for 1mm on stainless I need xxx cutter rpm and xxx feedrate?

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong area.

Like I said, this is my 1st post, so please be gentle with me, I have had the machine since 2006 and am only now really trying to make the effort to use it.

My background is in electronics (micro controllers) but I have also used machine tools including Mills and Lathes (I also have an old 1950's Boxford Lathe with proper handles ).

Thank you.

Regards

Matthew

The simple answer is you would need thousands of pre-made charts due to the number of cutter sizes, cutter materials (HSS, cobalt, carbide, coated carbides, carbide insert, etc.) and the workpiece material.

The conventional approach is to determine material and tool bit and use the calculator to figure the the tool rpm. With rpm known, look up the recommended chip per tool tooth/flute and calculate feed rate.

Tool manufacturers can provide specific recommendations for their tools that should generally be used but even these can vary significantly depending on flood coolant, air blast, etc.

machining stainless

Here are a couple good online calculators. Since your using such a small cutter i could only guess that that a chipload per cutter tooth might be about .001 (inches) . Example plug in 500 rpm and 2 ipm with your cutter dia in inches.
    http://www.ncprogramming.com/index.html

Quick and dirty cheat sheet for machining stainless.
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/prl/do...pdf/millss.pdf

Is it normal 304 stainless? If so, I would start at a speed of 200 sfm, which calculates to 19,100 rpm which very likely exceeds your spindle's capability. I would plunge at a feedrate of .0003" per revolution and feed at .0015" per revolution. Whatever rpm your machine can run, multiply it by these numbers for your feedrate in inches per minute. Example: 4000 rpm x .0003" per revolution = 1.2 inches per minute plunge rate
    4000 rpm x .0015" per revolution = 6.0 inches per minute feedrate

It's hard to tell by sound with such small endmills if you are close to its limit. Under 3mm, they tend to snap without making much audible chatter, if any. You may be able to feed faster, but try to get a couple of parts done before risking the tool. Tap Magic w/EP extra is fantastic on stainless. I would probably use that over flood coolant.

I can't believe Stanford University has their name on that document. Haas machines have very rigid spindles? Running dry will immediately kill your cutter?

Thank you for all of your feedback

My current setup only allows 2000rpm, way too slow I am in the process of fitting good quality router to my machine, this will allow up to 30000rpm (no load).

Thanks again!
    Regards Matthew
    --- Converted Majic Mill with DeskCNC controller ---

Quote Originally Posted by davereagan View Post
    I can't believe Stanford University has their name on that document. Haas machines have very rigid spindles? Running dry will immediately kill your cutter?
    This is in the context of their lab. Haas machines are the best ones THEY have, so yes, compared to that WWII bridgeport in the corner, the Haas has a pretty stout spindle.

I won't comment on the coolant other than the tooling they have might require it.

I think this is an internal type of document meant to hand out to students, not a paper worth publication. It was probably written by students for students.

Matt

Student is wrong.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

feed and speed

mat, the best way is to use chip load and surface feet. cimco has a calculator. the calculator is easy to use and will give you rpm and feed rate. if you google feed and speed calculator others will come up. to find recommended feeds and speeds google the material and cutting speed at the same time and you will find the answer. don't worry about asking questions it is how smart people learn. we all had to start some where. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by davereagan View Post
    I glanced at the document. It looks like a student handout. Probably refers to the equipment that they have available in the university shop. So they seem to be saying that, of the machines they have available, the Haas is the most rigid. Anybody else know anything about this? I'm just guessing.