584,861 active members*
4,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Harbor Freight 42827 mill to CNC ?'s

Harbor Freight 42827 mill to CNC ?'s

I have an opportunity to buy the HF 42827 mill with a ton of accessories for very cheap. I currently have a 3 axis JGRO router table I built . I mostly cut plastic- polyethylene & polystyrene, and I would like to get into some aluminum & maybe steel at some point.

I can't seem to find any information on converting this mill- :withstupi
    • Has anybody successfully converted one of these mills? pics, links??

• Will a Xylotex driver board with 450 oz steppers run this mill?

Any other information is greatly appreciated.

I've searched high & low regarding retrofitting a CNC package onto this mill & there is less than no information out there. It seems the round column is a turnoff to many machinists out there. I don't think it will be an issue for me as I am cutting 99% plastic. I can't pass up the deal I am getting on this machine so I'll start a thread documenting the conversion as soon as the ball gets rolling.

For now, my first big problem is transporting this beast to my shop. Tomorrow I am going to inspect the mill & figure out how to move it without any hoists. I am thinking of removing the head & column & moving it in pieces. At 625 lbs this is going to be a big challenge.

I think you could use even smaller steppers. the only issue with that is speed. you would have to use reducers. Smaller steppers - slower machine.

I think you could use even smaller steppers. the only issue with that is speed. you would have to use reducers. Smaller steppers - slower machine.
    I should have mentioned, I am going to use my existing 4 axis Xylotex controller package with the 450's & get rid of my current router table. I am getting a rotary table with the new mill that I plan on using as the 4th axis.

My current machine is ok, just not as precise as I would like it to be. I am going to use the HF mill to make the motor mounts & use any other pieces off of my current router table. I hope this transition will go smoothly, but what are the chances of that (wedge)

That is just a RF-31 with a gear box head. It should CNC OK but the China quill will be a lot more sloppy that the true RF type mills. I have both and the China quill is not really tight.

The low 1500 RPM spindle might be a bit of a problem too.

Yeah a round column is a very undesirable thing! I'm glad people in this forum set me straight on that before I went out and bought a new one! If this mill really is the right price you can buy it only for it's base and table and then buy an x1 or x2 just for its column and head and attach that head and column to your base. Someone in here did that already! Or maybe you can buy the proper square column and head to fit that but not sure what it would cost. I think a round column or square column will bolt into that base.

Looked at the mill today

:banana: & its pretty sweet - way more robust than my router table. It seems very sturdy & more than adequate for the plastic cutting I will be doing.

It looks to be in good shape & has low hours, but the motor & gearbox sound strained. I am planning on taking it apart to inspect the bearings following Graetech's excellent tutorial. This mill has a similar oil leak that also needs to be addressed.

Any idea on the size and pitch of the stock screws on this mill? They looked to be ~1" diameter & very fine, like 20 tpi.

Also, what are the advantages / disadvantages to direct drive vs pulleys for the stepper motor mounts?