585,967 active members*
4,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Y-Axis Mexican Hat Wave?

When my cut runs along the X-Axis, everything behaves and I am getting a really good finish.

BUT......

When cutting in the Y direction, I am getting small waves in the part. It is not a tool digging in because that would be really evident. I have checked the gibbs, and there is no movement there. Regardless of whether it is a roughing or finishing pass, the waves are there, and can be felt by rubbing your fingers over the face.

Anyone had this before?

Question Broken coupling?

Check for broken coupling. A broke one will still drive.
    When doing RAPID, you will probably hear a noise once/or twice per rev of screw.

or

The microstepping on the driver might be too coarse.

or

The Z gibbs may be loose. Grab spindle (when stopped and off) and push and pull really hard. Any movement?

hmmm....
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

bad tach at motor, loose ballscrew, bad trust bearing, gibs too tight, bad clock card.

what type of machine?did you also check the z axis gibbs?

i dont think he has servos,steppers i think so its not a tach issue,check backlash first to see if something is loose,than check the gibbs arent too tight,and thrust bearing too loose or too tight

Thanks for the replies and tips.

The machine is a Syil SX3.

I have checked the z-axis gibbs. There is no play at all.

With regards to the Y-axis gibbs being too tight, it is a possibility, and will be investigated. I did adjust a few weeks ago.

The Ball screw on the Y-axis has a cover over it that is fixed to the base. I'll whip that off and check the bearings and the coupling. I haven't noticed any noise, but I'll check anyway.

"The micro stepping on the driver might be too coarse" What should it be set to? This is not something I have ever played with.

By the way, I have changed the acceleration settings on my drives in Mach3. The default setting was 5mm / sec. I have changed mine to 10mm / sec. Is this too aggressive? When cutting 3D components, the machine would never get up to the feed rates specified in the program because the moves are too close together. 10 ok?

Best regards,
    byron

hello Byron,

just a thought - when you set up the mill were you advised to take readings of the current at each driver? They aren't factory set and should be 3amps, anything else may cause erratic running of the respective axis and may possibly give this problem. If you remove the green cable from each driver (switch off first), put in a multimeter and switch on again - adjusting if necessary using the small pot control on the same front surface of the driver.
    At the same time measure the voltage to each driver which should be 38v (IIRC) and over a period of time - it has been known to fluctuate indicating a failing psu.

I'm not at all certain that the above would cause the symptoms that you're suffering but they're known problems. Minor problems, but ones which have increased the incidence of alopecia to some small degree.

Hugh
    Syil UK