585,743 active members*
4,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Wiring Home and Limit Switches Efficiently

Wiring Home and Limit Switches Efficiently

I did my searches and reading and need to get confirmation from somebody smarter than me that I am on the right track.

It's for a Taig Mill/G540 system. I am going to wire the limit switches in series and connect one end to Pin #1 and the other end to Pin #12 being the GRND. This will be a normally closed (NC) system. I am going to use the same limit switches at the home positions for all 3 axis and they will be connected to Pins # 2, 3 and 4 and Pin #12 GRND. This will be an normally open (NO) system.

Then I will configure Mach3 accordingly with active lows for the NC and active highs for the NO system.

I've being looking and looking for schematics to confirm my wiring but haven't found anything useful. Have I got things setup properly so far?

Thanks
    John

Mach can actually use your limit switches for homing also saving you the loss of the other 3 inputs? I can't remember the actual configuration but when you ref all, it will move and park each axis, Z then Y then X to their allocated home position and zero the DRO's! This leaves the other inputs for rpm / spindle speeds, probes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Mach can actually use your limit switches for homing also saving you the loss of the other 3 inputs? I can't remember the actual configuration but when you ref all, it will move and park each axis, Z then Y then X to their allocated home position and zero the DRO's! This leaves the other inputs for rpm / spindle speeds, probes etc.

It's too bad there is no place to post this info in the form of a sticky as so many of us probably ask this same question. I would really like to find some wiring schematics for all of the possibilities.

John

John,

A wiring diagram really is not necessary.

All that is required are normally closed switches.

Connect all the switches in series.

Connect one end of the switches to a Input Pin on the G540 connect the other end to ground on the G540.

Since Mach3 only homes one axis at a time it is aware of the which switch is tripping.

If you prefer to have each axis separate then you can wire the switches on each axis in series and use one Input pin for each axis.

Using one input pin for all the Home and Limit switches will conserve the other inputs for accessories.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.