586,005 active members*
4,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G540 x-axis slow jog stops working after a minute

G540 x-axis slow jog stops working after a minute

Installed the CNC fusion delux #4 kit with keling 387oz/in motors on my Micro-mark X2 mini-mill. Using mach 3 I can jog all the axis's fine but after about a minute or so the x-axis slow jog doesn't work. I am using a Shuttle Pro 2 for jogging. I switched the X axis cable to the 4th axis input and it slow jogs fine, then switched the X and Y motor inputs and the Y-axis has the same problem. So its not the motors or the cables but the problem appears to be with the X input on the G540. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I have the unit cooled with 2 12v computer fans so overheating is not an issue.

xspyke is on a distinguished road
    my x axis is missing steps but I found the problem
    I'm sorry if this is a little long. I hope this helps someone else.

This is what I've been chasing down for the last day and a half. I never noticed the problem until I had to cut thick object (1 inch) with multiple passes(0.02"/pass). The x axis drifted 3/16" by the time it hit the depth of 1 inch.

You may ask what software are you using, what are my settings, what drive.

Mach3 software settings:
    10000 steps, 200 inches/min, accel set to 50,pulse width and duration set to 2.

Gecko 540 drive. (I love the design and packaging)

I started by making sure my z axis move up and down perpendicular to the table. I checked the x and y movement with a dial indicator. I found the y gave consistant reading when I move 3 inches up and back 3 inches. I did not get the same results with the x axis. My readings increase by .003"each time I move it left-right-left.

I then started playing around with software settings. I tried changing the acceleration, pulse width, velocity, backlash. sherline setting. No success.

Change the 6 ft 25 pin cable with a 3 ft cable, moved the power supply away from the cables and Gecko drive. No change.

Then I re-installed Mach3. No change.

I checked my bios settings. All the setting were correct.

I swaped the the x and y cables that connected to the Gecko 540. The problem followed with the x port of the drive. So, that told me my machine is good.

Now is it the PC or drive? I read alot last night about losing step. I thought about getting another graphics card. But, before I go and spend more money on this hobby. I had one last thing to try. Swap the A axis board with the X axis board. Run the part again. It came out perfect!

I'm so glad I purchased the 540. I had a spare drive when I needed it. Now I have to see about relplacing the defective drive board.

Apparently I'm not alone here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldermac View Post
    Installed the CNC fusion delux #4 kit with keling 387oz/in motors on my Micro-mark X2 mini-mill. Using mach 3 I can jog all the axis's fine but after about a minute or so the x-axis slow jog doesn't work. I am using a Shuttle Pro 2 for jogging. I switched the X axis cable to the 4th axis input and it slow jogs fine, then switched the X and Y motor inputs and the Y-axis has the same problem. So its not the motors or the cables but the problem appears to be with the X input on the G540. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I have the unit cooled with 2 12v computer fans so overheating is not an issue.
    I had several issues with drifting axis, and a similar setup and settings, I never checked to see if the issue followed a motor. In my case lowering the motor settings seemed to help with my axis drifting. I'm confused as to the origin of the last post, but nevertheless the numbers sound high to me. Although I could jog my machine at 200IPM, and set the accel for 50 I found I had issues missing steps at those speeds, primarily on 3D countouring. Since lowering the motor tuning numbers these issues are gone. Worth a try.

Two suggestions.

1: Turn the toolpath display off.

2: Increase the kernel speed.

See the attached jpgs

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kernel.JPG   toolpath.JPG  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.