585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question M-code for Chuck Clamp/Unclamp

Hey there. I have a leadwell LTC-15 with a Fanuc-OT controller. I am trying to use a new barpuller we have here at the shop, and im having problems clamping and unclamping the chuck during my program, to use the bar puller. I have a book with an M-Code list in it, however it is for a Haas lathe, and the numbers don't quite match what they actually do. Im lookin for either the correct code, or an eduated guess which 2 M-codes they are; as long as they are in pairs. I was messing around with random M codes, and it took me 10 minutes to get my turret to index back in. LOL. Thanks a lot.

If it is a 0TB or 0TC you may be able to view the ladder or if you have a hard copy, look for the physical output that operates the chuck clamp, if you trace the rungs back you may find a bit labled with the M code, even the output may be labled that way.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

For some reason M10 & M11 stick out in my head. But so does M20 & M21. I am not sure just throwing it out there.

You should be able to call Leadwell to get the M-codes for that machine.

Stevo

My Miyano with an OT-C control uses
    M17 to open
    M18 to close
    My Johnford with same control uses
    M10 to close
    M11 to open

Good luck
    Chris J.

SteveO, thanks. M10, and M11 stick out because they are the chuck clamp/unclamp codes. However, I ran into a new problem...Im doing this so I can use a bar puller. I get my program ran through up until I move my puller onto the part, clamp onto it, then open my chuck. Once I open the chuck, I cannot move my tool turret to actually pull the bar out; It doesn't alarm, the machine simply will not move with the chuck open. Same as if you try to start a program with the chuck open, it won't do anything until you close it. Is there a paramater that controls that, or is it a physical machine lock, or some type of code that allows you to move the turret in a program while the chuck is open? Or, does that mean I screwed up buying a cheap-o lathe and it doesn't have those capabilities? Thanks for the help so far, this should be all I need hopefully. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stuby View Post
    Or, does that mean I screwed up buying a cheap-o lathe and it doesn't have those capabilities? Thanks for the help so far, this should be all I need hopefully. Thanks again.
    The 0 is capable of almost any machine logic you can throw at it, it is the MTB that decides what it will do.
    You should get the operation manual from Leadwell as they decide the M codes and how they function.
    They could re-write the ladder if you really need a particular operation.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Chuck Open ... No Cycle Start

Hi ... if you're doing this in Single Block like for a test ... once the chuck is open the Cycle Start will not work as it is a safety ... you know, the machine won't start with the chuck open. In full auto ... this would not happen since the Cycle Start doesn't need to be pressed and will work fine.

To test, you can do a couple of things :

(1) Once the chuck is open ... close the chuck manually rather then waiting for the M code and then continue with the program.

(2) Once the chuck is open ... change the ID CLAMP or OD CLAMP option button / switch to the other ... that will make the chuck "think" it is closed and the Cycle Start will work.

Hope this helps ...

Real World Machine Shop Software at www.KentechInc.com

Quote Originally Posted by stuby View Post
    SteveO, thanks. M10, and M11 stick out because they are the chuck clamp/unclamp codes. However, I ran into a new problem...Im doing this so I can use a bar puller. I get my program ran through up until I move my puller onto the part, clamp onto it, then open my chuck. Once I open the chuck, I cannot move my tool turret to actually pull the bar out; It doesn't alarm, the machine simply will not move with the chuck open. Same as if you try to start a program with the chuck open, it won't do anything until you close it. Is there a paramater that controls that, or is it a physical machine lock, or some type of code that allows you to move the turret in a program while the chuck is open? Or, does that mean I screwed up buying a cheap-o lathe and it doesn't have those capabilities? Thanks for the help so far, this should be all I need hopefully. Thanks again.
    hello
    have u changed to G98 (feed per minute)? to move when the chuck is open.

ist the maschine an older type? maybe i have an m code list from a ltc15 build in 1985, will check tomorrow on my work

Try feed per minute. Feed per rev won't work if the spindle isn't turning.
    There may be a parameter to inhibit motion with the chuck open.
    Here is some bar pull code for a Daewoo with Fanuc 0t.
    Some machines may need dwell after chuck open and close.
    (BAR PULLER)
    N1T500
    G98M5
    G0X3.5Z.4T505
    G1X0.0F40.
    M69
    G1W2.027F75.
    M68
    G0G99X3.
    G0X9.Z10.T500M9
    M1

Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks for the help thus far. I did change my G99 to G98 for per minute feed, to make the bar puller advance onto the part without the chuck spinning. I tried running it on full auto like someone said, instead of single block, and no help there. I will try to put a dwell in between, we'll see. Thanks again.

Our Leadwell has a Fanuc 0Ti.

The M codes which will allow you to move with the spindle open are:
    M31 Spindle chuck bypass on
    M32 Spindle chuck bypass off

Put it something like this:
    bring your bar puller into position
    M31
    M11
    --make your "W" bar puller move
    M10
    M32
    send your bar puller home