585,927 active members*
4,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Where to start? on X3 to CNC conversion?

Where to start? on X3 to CNC conversion?

I am a newbie, in fact so new, that I have ordered but haven't received my Grizzly g0463 version of the Sieg X3 yet.

Where do I start.

I am reading the board, but still trying to wrap my head around BOB's and controllers.

Is there someplace that breaks it down for a newbie like myself, and spells out what I would need from start to finish to convert to CNC?

Probably going to mainly do some small parts in aluminum or plastic with this mill, but really am almost more interested in the process of conversion to CNC than the end product.

Thanks
    Duke

Duke,

See the attached link below for a complete X3 conversion.

EMC2 is used as the machine control software however Mach3 would be easy to implement as well.

http://www.distinctperspectives.com/...ls.php?album=1

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Bob Warfield's CNC cookbook is a good read and reference as well.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCBreakoutBoards.htm

http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTCNCDictionary.htm

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

am I on the right track

I am looking at the CNC Fusion kits that are designed for the X3, and it looks to me like If I get kit #4 for $569

Then 3 stepper or servo motors,
    a Break out board to take it from an old PC that I have already.

and some software to run on the PC that will control it.

Is the CNC Fusion kit a reasonable way to go for somebody that doesn't have as much time in the shop to tinker with making fittings for attaching motors and such and wants to get up and running?

Thanks
    Duke

Thanks for the links, I will study, and return with more questions

CNC Fusion Kit is a good place to start

I used the CNC Fusion Deluxe kit to convert my Grizzly Super X3 to CNC. I think these kits are excellent - they have been properly engineered for the X3 (all the parts fit and were just bolt-on). I haven't done a deep analysis of the cost of the kit vs. the cost of the components (ball screws, ball nuts, mounts) but it was worth it to me to know that a bunch of variables were removed from the equation - such as my ability to machine hard ballscrews to proper tolerances with my own tools.

Whether the Deluxe kit is worth the premium over the standard kit is a judgement call. Michael at CNC Fusion was extremely accomodating for me - I had ordered the standard kit before he had begun selling the Deluxe kit, and when I heard about the new kit and asked him about it, he offered to allow me to return my standard kit and upgrade to the Deluxe for just the difference in price (which I believe as about $250 or so). It was definitely an easy choice for me to make, because I had already made the big plunge for the original kit, and the differential was relatively simple to justify. The zero backlash claim has held up for me on X and Y, although I am still fighting about .004 in Z (which may not even be in the ballscrew - could be slop in parts of the mechanism such as a setscrew that's not tight enough or wobble in the ballnut connection to the heavy head). These are again just a few more variables removed that make it easier to concentrate on all the other issues that you struggle with to make a successful CNC conversion.

tracking...

Tracking says my G0463 should arrive tomorrow.

I will have to work very late, and as luck would have it, will be out of town for a long weekend, but I can't wait...

Duke

Thank You

Thank you for all the links.

Lots of great very detailed information that I would have spent a lot of time searching for on my own, or learning by trial and error.

Thank Ya'll

Duke