585,992 active members*
5,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > PTC Pro/Manufacture > Question about surface finish

Question about surface finish

We use Pro/M for our manufacturing software here at work. I am having trouble with the finish. We usually program directly at the machine using the machine software but every once in a while we have to use the Pro to do a job. I am new to the Pro software but my boss knows it well enough to help me program the parts that I am running today. The problem I am having is that the parts look like they are wood grained or faceted like a diamond. My boss though we might be having trouble with the post or it might be something in the model. Have any of you guys run into something like this?

You can try to edit the post processor with the option file generator and look at adjusting curve fitting under the motion option.

Ok dumb question....how do I get the post file to edit it? I have looked in several places and can't seem to find it. We have a really screwed setup right now so maybe that has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
    Ok dumb question....how do I get the post file to edit it? I have looked in several places and can't seem to find it. We have a really screwed setup right now so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Within your Pro/MFG part it will be under applications called NC Postprocessor

did that work?

Quote Originally Posted by plastibob View Post
    did that work?
    Thanks for asking Bob. I ran into several problems that we are currently working on. What I didn't realize was that we had a 2000I post using with WF2. Our computer crashed a while back and when the IT dept reinstalled the WF they didn't include the module to edit posts. I can't remember why but something to do with wiping out the programs that were currently on the machine. We have been going through this for while now and at least we can do some parts. Up until now it wouldn't work at all. I am sure we will get it soon. So now we are going to WF3 and going to have them reinstall all the correct options so that maybe I can get something done. We have a request in with them now to do the install, hopefully they are going to do that in the next week or so. Thank you for your help and I am going to look at that once they get everything done.

Bernie

if the problem is that curved lines are broken into coarse segments, which can give a faceted appearance, you might try changing the machining parameter called "TOLERANCE". It is usually defaulted to .001 and that often is too course to look smooth. A tolerance of .0001 will break the curve into smaller segments and smooth it out.