584,862 active members*
5,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Harbor Freight 42827 Build / Conversion Thread
Page 3 of 3 123
    Thanks for posting the update with pictures. Sounds like it is doing fine.
    I am getting around to getting around to start on mine. I say start, but I have started getting some of the parts already. Been doing that as I had the cash to start with. I won't use the OEM screws. Ball screws are just too easy for me not to use them. Already have some.
    I had intended to check on the square column to retrofit this one, but after thinking about it, I think I will use the short fall of the round column to my advantage instead. Down the road at least. I think I could put a grinding head or high speed spindle on the back side of the collar. It would be a simple matter to swivel the head around and swap motor plugs. That is one of those "We'll see" type projects.
    First things first.

I will use the quill, but want to build an axis for it using the lower collar position on a new plate with linear slides and it's own screw. I have these parts left over from Ebay purchases, so will be trying that route.
    I use less than 5" of my Z axis at a time on my small mill, so the only time I would need to move the collar would be to install a vise. I would do all the vise work on my small mill and eliminate that need.

I'll be using 1200 oz motors direct drive to start with. Yours seem to be doing well.
    I do have a thread started and should be seeing some action on it in the next month. I'll post a link.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...onversion.html

Post some pictures of parts you have made when you get a chance.
    Thanks.
    Lee

This sounds really interesting- Ill definitely be following your thread.

Cool idea about putting multiple cutter heads around the column - maybe some turret-like design

Here a reprap I'm working on. Its all open source - I got the files from www.flemingcnc.com/. I need to make some gears for the reprap's belt drive- I just finished (re)converting my rotary table to a 4th axis. I also machined an adapter plate so I can use my lathe tailstock on the mill.

I have to finish machining the MT3 adapter for my 3 jaw chuck for the rotary table & Ill be ready to start cutting gears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_2186.JPG   DCP_2183.jpg  

Very nice.
    That Reprap looks interesting. Certainly some precision geometry involved.
    Do you have a build thread on it?

4th axis. Also way cool. That is a big one. I'm interested in see what you do with it.

I finally got around to being able to turn something other than my parts on my lathe. Been trying several different turning cams just to do a simple chess piece. Once I hit on a good DXF export, Lazy turn finally responded to my wishes.
    Actually, I finally responded to it's needs.
    Setting up the tooling though, wammo, crash. I went to do a jog holding down the shift key. It locked on for some reason and I only have 5" travel on the X. No big deal really since the chuck wasn't involved, but the same thing could happen when I jog Z. It did put up some sort of error, but I need to check into that. Could be disastrous at some point.
    It did feel good to turn a little pawn in brass though. I just used a hand ground HSS pointy tool. I need some diamond shaped inserts I think.
    Anyway, look forward to seeing what you do with those.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Setting up the tooling though, wammo, crash. I went to do a jog holding down the shift key. It locked on for some reason and I only have 5" travel on the X. No big deal really since the chuck wasn't involved, but the same thing could happen when I jog Z. It did put up some sort of error, but I need to check into that. Could be disastrous at some point.
    I had that happen to me once on the mill and found it to be the p.o.s. USB keyboard, so I switched back to a PS/2 type keyboard and have not had a problem since.

JTCUSTOMS

Aha! It is a POS silicon roll up keyboard from Ebay. USB as well.
    Thanks for that. It will be seeing what the inside of the trash bin looks like.
    Lee

Yep thats the one silicone, even tried 2 more different silicone keyboards, even with a USB/PS/2 adapter with the same issues, so now I just use a cover on the keyboard while machining and have a console using pokeys to do most everything I need to do on the machine

JTCUSTOMS

Does anyone know where I can find R8 tool holders that have the 10mmx1.25 drawbar thread for my HF42827. All I can find are 3/8x20. Or maybe a 3/8 thread drawbar.
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that mine came with both drawbars.
    Perhaps the HF site has a manual to order this from. Grizzly may as well.
    Lee

My HF42827 came with 2 drawbars- one for the standard R8 collets and another for the drill chuck. If you cannot find a replacement drawbar you can easily make one out of thread stock and 2 nuts. I thought about either putting a lock washer in between the nuts to keep them from loosening or just welding the nut to the end of the rod.

I made one to hold MT3 collets on my lathe and a shorter version for my rotary table.

Thanks guys. I guess i will try the threaded rod. I bought the machine when HF was closing them out for $400. . It was the display and stuff was missing. Manual only shows one arbor bolt no size.

R8 collets have a 7/16-20 thread.... You won't find anything else. What you need is the right drawbar. Surely there is one from another mill you could use?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Right Harry.
    I make my own for my small mill using grade 8 all thread and extended nuts. I drill a hole through both and insert a steel roll pin.
    I use a butterfly impact to change my cutters. Holds up very well. I dress it a few times a year where it tends to mushroom at the bottom of the nut. I make a new every couple years.
    Cost isn't bad.
    Lee

I ordered one from Grizzly. I do actually have a R8 collet with 10mmx1.25 .

Re: Harbor Freight 42827 Build / Conversion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by stabbs View Post
    Hey LeeWay, nice to see there are other round columners out there.

I did make a few modifications since my last post I added some extra support to the x and y axis motors - I basically just pressure fit some 1/4" x 1" stock between the motor mount and the mill. Its not pretty but it works great.

I also bolted the z axis to the mill.

So far the mill has been working out well. My only complaints is how loud the gearbox is. I had read changing the bearings help with the noise, but I haven't found the time to swap them out. I would be very interested in seeing what you end up doing with your mill- keep me posted.
    Hi, just wondering what motors and drives you used, and if you've had any problem with them skipping, stalling, or locking up.
    Thanks, Richard

Page 3 of 3 123