585,931 active members*
5,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What's the best way to organize nuts and bolts?
Page 1 of 2 12

What's the best way to organize nuts and bolts?

I'm looking for advice for the best way to organize a bunch of different sizes, lengths and threads of nuts and bolts. Right now I just have similar sizes in containers like a plastic cool whip container. I'm thinking I should find some kind of containers with movable partitions. Any suggestions?

Once I get that figured out I'm lost on what to do. It's certainly going way too far for me to separate every type pf nut, bolt and washer I have like in a hardware store. I'm thinking maybe I should just keep all the different shaft sizes with the nuts and washers that fit them? I'm totally open to advice. Thanks in advance.

Acro storage bins might be one solution. They come with removable dividers, which is both good and bad: the dividers are dovetailed into the sidewalls, but a bit of twisting or pulling up a bolt that gets stuck underneath one divider and the divider pops out, too. So I hot glued the dividers in. Now they're good.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    I'm looking for advice for the best way to organize a bunch of different sizes, lengths and threads of nuts and bolts. Right now I just have similar sizes in containers like a plastic cool whip container. I'm thinking I should find some kind of containers with movable partitions. Any suggestions?

Once I get that figured out I'm lost on what to do. It's certainly going way too far for me to separate every type pf nut, bolt and washer I have like in a hardware store. I'm thinking maybe I should just keep all the different shaft sizes with the nuts and washers that fit them? I'm totally open to advice. Thanks in advance.
    The "best" way is obviously dependent on situation, if you need ready access to every kind and length of fastener, you'd have a space for each one. If you don't care, and want to mix all of the same thread size together more power to you.
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look at the "home organization" section. Theres a bunch of cheap bin type or multi divider units there. For small hardware that I take around frequently I use a little red Plano with 4 smaller inner divided boxes.
    At home I simply keep boxes of the hardware I buy. I generally buy a full box (sometimes these days it's bags) from Fastenal or McMaster as it works out cheaper in the long run, and I get much higher quality hardware. You pay an arm and a leg for even grade 5 at the the mega-stores, and they don't have any of the smaller sizes in anything but crappy pan head slotted screws.

The dollar store "dollarama" has clear plastic boxes with section dividers for one dollar each. They are fantastic for storing all sorts of things. Best solution i have seen so far. I must have at least 50 of them. And they close with a nice tight latch as well. I built a shelf with with sections out of mdf so each box slips in and out of its own section. I put labels on the front of the boxes for easy and neat organization.

You have to keep them separated. Any of the above suggestions will be good. Reason for separating them? You will understand when you've spent an hour searching for that "last" M5x10 mm bolt that isn't actually in the mixed box. Then you start looking for something to take apart that has one of these bolts then you decide to hacksaw a 20mm one down to size but you gotta find an M5 nut to put on first so the thread will be ok (back to the mixed box)... and where did you put the file to clean up the end?

You get my drift
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldermac View Post
    The dollar store "dollarama" has clear plastic boxes with section dividers for one dollar each. They are fantastic for storing all sorts of things. Best solution i have seen so far. I must have at least 50 of them. And they close with a nice tight latch as well. I built a shelf with with sections out of mdf so each box slips in and out of its own section. I put labels on the front of the boxes for easy and neat organization.
    If possible I want to get something with sliding dividers where everything can be pushed down at once, because what do you do when you suddenly get a whole bunch of the same size which is too much for that partition? Would be lots of work to reorganize.

Quote Originally Posted by escott76 View Post
    The "best" way is obviously dependent on situation, if you need ready access to every kind and length of fastener, you'd have a space for each one. If you don't care, and want to mix all of the same thread size together more power to you.
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look at the "home organization" section. Theres a bunch of cheap bin type or multi divider units there. For small hardware that I take around frequently I use a little red Plano with 4 smaller inner divided boxes.
    At home I simply keep boxes of the hardware I buy. I generally buy a full box (sometimes these days it's bags) from Fastenal or McMaster as it works out cheaper in the long run, and I get much higher quality hardware. You pay an arm and a leg for even grade 5 at the the mega-stores, and they don't have any of the smaller sizes in anything but crappy pan head slotted screws.
    That's my my problem, I really don't have space for a little tray for each one, I might have 50 of one kind of bolt and 1 of another, if I were to use the same size containers I'm wasting a lot of space for that 1 bolt by itself, if I use smaller containers for the 1 they don't stack nice.

By the way, what are you building that you're buying full boxes of fasteners?

I still keep the original boxes and refill the organizers when they get low. Just keep the one-offs in a separate container and check there last.

Another way is if you have shelves on the wall somewhere.
    Save all your screw top jars, fix the lids under the shelf and you can see what is in the jar.
    WJF
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know

That's my my problem, I really don't have space for a little tray for each one, I might have 50 of one kind of bolt and 1 of another, if I were to use the same size containers I'm wasting a lot of space for that 1 bolt by itself, if I use smaller containers for the 1 they don't stack nice.

By the way, what are you building that you're buying full boxes of fasteners?
    Robots, amplifiers, EV's, machine shop equipment, model helicopters, furniture... it goes on.
    Paying the exorbitant fees that a home center will charge you is wasteful. I use various kinds of socket cap screws almost exclusively. Nothing else has held up at all as well in bots, so there's little point for me in buying anything else. Most of what I want isn't even available in 1's and 2's at these stores, and if it is, you're paying $.99 for 2 or at best 4. When I can get 100, for $12, it's kind of silly. I do enough stuff that I'll use them, and I'll always have them at hand. McMaster has just about anything you'd want for mail order, and for most common stuff there is Fastenal. There's likely one of those near you, it's worth a look.
    You put down a little more to get a box, but it's less per fastener, and the next time you need that size, you'll have a source.

Quote Originally Posted by escott76 View Post
    Robots, amplifiers, EV's, machine shop equipment, model helicopters, furniture... it goes on.
    Paying the exorbitant fees that a home center will charge you is wasteful. I use various kinds of socket cap screws almost exclusively. Nothing else has held up at all as well in bots, so there's little point for me in buying anything else. Most of what I want isn't even available in 1's and 2's at these stores, and if it is, you're paying $.99 for 2 or at best 4. When I can get 100, for $12, it's kind of silly. I do enough stuff that I'll use them, and I'll always have them at hand. McMaster has just about anything you'd want for mail order, and for most common stuff there is Fastenal. There's likely one of those near you, it's worth a look.
    You put down a little more to get a box, but it's less per fastener, and the next time you need that size, you'll have a source.
    Now when you say EV's does that mean you convert gas cars to electric? Or just put electric motors on scooters? What size robots do you build? Are they robo 1 size? Roomba size or full size humanoid? Because I'm wondering if it's the bigger or smaller stuff you're buying in bulk.

I always buy a full box if available when I'm buying, and if not, I always buy more than I need.

I use the plastic storage boxes, organized by thread. I keep bolts, washers, nuts, taps, and dies together by thread so it's all there when I need a particular hardware size.

I built a big cabinet that looks like a mail sorting cabinet for an office to hold these plastic storage boxes.

Cheers,

BW

Dear slashmaster,

How big is the largest threaded part you want to store? Below about 3/16" (tops) you can do that in wall mounted plastic drawers with plastic dividers that you can organise at will. Do not be tempted to mix and match, just keep them separate. Buy five to ten times as many drawers as the number that you think you need right now. How many hours are you prepared to waste looking for that final component? Just spend the money now...your time is money.

Above 3/16" diameter, the wheels come off the wagon. The cost of storing each component in different drawers starts to gets a bit expensive.

I store larger ones in pull-out kitchen unit drawers in their original boxes. Above about
    1/2 ", they just sit on the floor.

OK, it is the advice of a slob.

Best wishes,

Martin

Now when you say EV's does that mean you convert gas cars to electric? Or just put electric motors on scooters? What size robots do you build? Are they robo 1 size? Roomba size or full size humanoid? Because I'm wondering if it's the bigger or smaller stuff you're buying in bulk.
    Bigger or smaller fastener makes no difference to me, still pays in quality to buy the right thing. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Plumbing-Handbook-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879384069/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248146118&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook (Motorbooks Workshop): Carroll Smith: Books[/ame]
    Great read, lots of info about proper ways to use, size, and design joints so fasteners are used correctly for their strength. Sadly, the book won't tell you how best to store them...

If your looking to buy an assortment of bolts, nuts, washer, or whatever. Check out MSC they have great assortments for nice prices. They come in very nice metal storage bins.

I'm real lucky - SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) LOVES to organize stuff. SO annually she redoes my storege in the shop/garage. Because she knows how pitiful I am, after she puts them in the boxes, she hot melt glues a sample on the front of each box.
    Instantly I can find what I'm looking for. When the last is gone - the sample is pulled off, cleaned, used and then a trip to the store, she gets to redo!
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

High Seas, that is one in a million. My girlfriend's idea of tidying up my shed was to remove anything that was "lying about" and chuck it in the bin. Needless to say I now have an entry-pad lock on the door.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I have a large assortment of bolts and find these the best way to sort them. The shallow draws allow you see all of the bolts without shuffling through them to see what is underneath. Also you can slide the shallow draws out and back in without disturbing their layout so next time is easier. cheers Gazza

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1.../boltdraw1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    High Seas, that is one in a million. My girlfriend's idea of tidying up my shed was to remove anything that was "lying about" and chuck it in the bin. Needless to say I now have an entry-pad lock on the door.
    lol! thats sig worthy. My most used and most expensive instruments are usually lying about lol.

ill take a picture of my system, it rocks lol. my mum helped me out with it- just a bunch of little droorers with labels on the front like "6-32 long screws" et cetera

any1 mention a magnet yet ?

it might fit some individuals best i'm sure !
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

Page 1 of 2 12