585,880 active members*
6,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rust prevention ?

I have taken delivery of a New X3 from Grizzly that isn't even out of the box yet.

When I break it down to clean the cosmolene off, what should I use to prevent rust?

On my woodworking cast iron, I have been using paste wax, because having a slick surface is not a bad thing, but it looks to me like there are some places like the work surface on a mill that might not be a good place for wax.

My current shop (only for another year) is about three blocks from the Gulf of Mexico, so some rust prevention is going to be needed.

Thanks
    Duke

Duke,

I buy WD40 in gallon cans, and pour it into a spray bottle. After cleaning up the machine, I give all the exposed metal a good spray. It's very humid where I live, but I've never had a spot of rust on any machine doing this.

Regards,
    Ray L.

WD-40 is not a very good rust preventative. Things like LPS-2, LPS-3, Fluid Film or Break Free CLP seem to get better reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    WD-40 is not a very good rust preventative. Things like LPS-2, LPS-3, Fluid Film or Break Free CLP seem to get better reviews.
    Yeah, I keep hearing that, yet there's no rust at all on any of my machines after many years, even on the bare 1018 steel parts I've added to it myself. The others may well be better in a truly damp or corrosive environment, but for normal home shop conditions, WD40 is dirt cheap and works just fine. The table on both of my mills still look like the first day they arrived in my shop. One is almost 3 years old, the other almost 8.

Regards,
    Ray L.

lubricants?

So I am supposed to spray a lubricant on the table where I am going to be trying to clamp things, and keep them from moving?

with woodworking, it makes sense to use a lubricant, because your not clamping anything to the cast iron, its better if its slick.

But It seems rather odd to me, to put a great lubricant on the table of a mill, and then try to clamp a workpiece to it, and expect it not to move after I just lathered it up in Lube.

Duke

I may end up using the WD-40 until I can find a product that I can expect to keep the rust away when I am going to be away from my equipment for a week or two at a time. My experience, has been that WD-40 drys out when its left for a while.
    Where around Houston would I be likely to find LPS products?

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    So I am supposed to spray a lubricant on the table where I am going to be trying to clamp things, and keep them from moving?

with woodworking, it makes sense to use a lubricant, because your not clamping anything to the cast iron, its better if its slick.

But It seems rather odd to me, to put a great lubricant on the table of a mill, and then try to clamp a workpiece to it, and expect it not to move after I just lathered it up in Lube.

Duke

I may end up using the WD-40 until I can find a product that I can expect to keep the rust away when I am going to be away from my equipment for a week or two at a time. My experience, has been that WD-40 drys out when its left for a while.
    WD-40 is not a lubricant. Water Dispersion formula 40. It is however excellent for the purpose it is designed for, dispersing water. It's not a long term solution, like the grease that machines come packed in. But when you are done for the day, wiping the table down to remove chips and a spray of WD-40 will keep it from rusting for a reasonable amount of time.
    Never a spot of rust on the HAAS I ran with flood coolant after 4 years of WD-40. Same with the Hurco I run now, and that's fully enclosed, and has been around way longer than the HAAS.

I have taken delivery of a New X3 from Grizzly that isn't even out of the box yet.

When I break it down to clean the cosmolene off, what should I use to prevent rust?

On my woodworking cast iron, I have been using paste wax, because having a slick surface is not a bad thing, but it looks to me like there are some places like the work surface on a mill that might not be a good place for wax.

My current shop (only for another year) is about three blocks from the Gulf of Mexico, so some rust prevention is going to be needed.

Thanks
    Duke
    I didn't clean mine. I left the packing grease on that keeps it rust free. That's what it's for.

Duke

If you're clamping things properly, you can paint the table with grease if you like, and your work will still not move. WD40 will have *zero* effect on clamping. And, yes, it does "dry out" after a while, leaving behind a waxy film that does a pretty good job of sealing the surface. It's not suitable for long-term storage, but for a period of weeks, or even months, even in a humid climate, it works just fine. You obviously have to take normal precautions against moisture, like not leaving your shop door open in humid weather, unless given time for the temperatures to stabilize, and never using any kind of un-vented combustion heater in your shop.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    I didn't clean mine. I left the packing grease on that keeps it rust free. That's what it's for.
    No, it's FOR keeping off rust in shipping and storage. When it use you are not supposed to "leave it on".

The gulf is just down the street from my house and I use Break Free on all the machines. I also use johnsons paste wax on all the none moving surfaces. For table tops I use break free and A/C vent covers the magnetic ones. They also work great at keeping the chips out of the T slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
    The gulf is just down the street from my house and I use Break Free on all the machines. I also use johnsons paste wax on all the none moving surfaces. For table tops I use break free and A/C vent covers the magnetic ones. They also work great at keeping the chips out of the T slots.
    Do you mean Break Free CLP the gun cleaning stuff in the black bottle?

Duke

I live 30 miles from the Gulf... but my wood shop is in an open pole barn.

I use Break Free CLP as a surface protectant on anything that isn't likely to touch the wood.

It's like magic. Clean and protected.

My big concern is a daily cycle of dew condensation.

best regards,
    mike

Yep Break Free CLP the gun cleaning stuff. Work like magic. I use to be able to buy it in gallon size from Midwayusa.com but the no longer have it. I soak a rag and wring it out. Wipe down all the machines. Last forever it seems like. I also have the spray cans for a quick application. You can find them at Walmart for cheap. They seem to go a long way to.

LPS-3 is the best rust preventative I've used. Dries to a cosmoline like consistency. WD40 is okay but the film it leaves has no strength and is easily displaced, leaving the metal unprotected, in my experience.

JOe